What do you consider the essential tools for the garden
Jimny14 Offline
My hori hori does most small jobs. Bulb planting, planting out, weeding out tap roots, cutting a length of twine if it's close any other random small jobs a sharp hand tool could be used for. 
Then there's my Japanese hand hoe which is ideal for small spaces. They are "handed" mine is a left handed one. It's really useful to see all the blade easily and your hand stays out the way.

Theres other stuff like a 3 sided hoe which is really useful on open ground and secateurs, hand saws etc but they only come out from time to time.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot

Mikey Offline
what's an ibis?, other than a hotel I'm lost on that one.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man

Mikey Offline
Ok, just found this, admit it how many have you got.! Smile

http://www.oldgardentools.co.uk/
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man

SarrissUK Offline
My hoe is definitely a good friend of mine, and I have several, but the red one is my favourite Smile

My hose is definitely a close second - my back would be broken without it.

I want a hori hori, but to be honest, I'm quite happy with any trowel that is within reach.

Scissors or secateurs, sure. String - yes. But without my hoe and hose, there would be nowhere to plant anything, and nothing would grow Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I must get a hori hori
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • SarrissUK

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(23-06-2020, 03:14 PM)Mikey Wrote: what's an ibis?, other than a hotel I'm lost on that one.

One of these - mine's almost worn round now, no wonder the handle falls off!

https://www.allsun.com.au/Ibis.html
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Has to be my cheap as chips dutch hoe. The shaft is now bent, the blade is also bent and worn so I may have to  buy a new one. Rolleyes

Next one will have a wooden shaft even though I have had problems in the past with the heads rotating on wooden shafted hoes. Time for a google methinks or I may even make myself one. Idea
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(24-06-2020, 09:18 AM)Vinny Wrote: Has to be my cheap as chips dutch hoe. The shaft is now bent, the blade is also bent and worn so I may have to  buy a new one. Rolleyes

Next one will have a wooden shaft even though I have had problems in the past with the heads rotating on wooden shafted hoes. Time for a google methinks or I may even make myself one. Idea
You could model it on Triggers Broom VinnySmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(24-06-2020, 09:37 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(24-06-2020, 09:18 AM)Vinny Wrote: Has to be my cheap as chips dutch hoe. The shaft is now bent, the blade is also bent and worn so I may have to  buy a new one. Rolleyes

You could model it on Triggers Broom VinnySmile
Good thinking Danny! Cool  I don't think I would get a medal for using it though! Tongue
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Jimny14