Storing Grass Clippings?
Broadway Offline
Hello Folks

I'm getting about 5 bags of clippings a week from a friend and want to store them for later use.

If I leave them in the bag they are steamy and hot within about 2 days, if I spread them out they dry in clumps in about the same period.

Obviously I could put them in the compost heaps but I wondered if there were any other ways to store them to eventually use as layers for the future raised beds?

The only other thing I thought of was to initially mark the beds out then cover with cardboard / grass and install the wooden sides as and when I get them? (I think this will be Vinny's viewSmile)
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I used to spread them out on a tarpaulin to dry out, then bag them up for use in the chicken house.
Yu have to be alert to the weather though, to cover them up again rapidly when it rains!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

toomanytommytoes Offline
We do the same as Veggie, dry them on a tarp. Go over them occasionally with a rake or something similar, to break up clumps. Doing that for 5 bags every week would be a bit of a faff, though. We only dry them we haven't got anything to mulch or a compost pile going. I would just compost them and use the resulting compost in the raised beds instead.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You'll note that I said "Used to" !Wink
Now, they're either spread around as a mulch or tipped into a crate which may be growing potatoes next year.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
Thanks for your responses folks, I think I'll probably do a mixture of thingsSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(20-06-2020, 01:52 PM)Broadway Wrote: Hello Folks

I'm getting about 5 bags of clippings a week from a friend and want to store them for later use.

If I leave them in the bag they are steamy and hot within about 2 days, if I spread them out they dry in clumps in about the same period.

Obviously I could put them in the compost heaps but I wondered if there were any other ways to store them to eventually use as layers for the future raised beds?

The only other thing I thought of was to initially mark the beds out then cover with cardboard / grass and install the wooden sides as and when I get them? (I think this will be Vinny's viewSmile)
Hi Danny
I wouldn't even bother with the wooden sides. Raised beds don't need wooden boards around hem, in fact they are a pain! I have inherited some but once they totally rot away (which won't be long) I will be doing without any surrounds at all.

Just saying! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man