Advice for a DIY fruit cage?
doublyjonah Offline
That's a like of solidarity,  Scarlet Smile We didn't have many problems when we were on the shady little plot. But now that we're up in the sunny, open area, the birds are stripping almost everything. I thought at least the blackcurrants would be safe, but we ended up with less than a handful! Seems like a GH extension of sorts could give you some cover.
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
1, Many moons ago, we made a temporary fruit cage from canes connected with tennis balls with plastic netting over the top. It kept the birds off the bushes until the blackbirds realised they could walk underneath the netting and eat to their heart's content. The moral is, whatever you construct, make sure the netting goes to the floor all the way around and is pegged down. FAILED

2. I have 3 GH frames covered with debris netting. It was intended to be a brassica cage but, because it was next to a raspberry patch, the raspberries have crept in and its now full of raspberries. This works well as a fruit cage and the bees are finding their way in to pollinate the flowers. SUCCESS

3. Also have a cheap polytunnel which had lost its cover. Again, covered it with debris netting and moved all the cherry trees in there, with strawberries underneath. The cherries decided they like being in there so pushed their way through the netting. Its such a jungle in there that I can't find the strawberries - although I know they're in there somewhere. FAILED

4. Planted some peach and nectarine trees in another cheap poly to protect them from birds/squirrels and the rain/peach leaf curl. PARTIAL SUCCESS until they outgrew their space the the PT disintegrated.

5 Wrapped chicken wire around some blackcurrant bushes to support them and for partial protection as there's no "roof".  PARTIAL SUCCESS. 

I've given up on the red and white currants. The gooseberries are surviving, so far, and most of the jostaberries.

The best strawberries are in the shopping trolley planter.

Doesn't really help you at all.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah, JJB