Dahlias - Photo Gallery
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Bishop Singles - this one is Bishop of Oxford

I love the singles - I have them in pots and also dotted amongst my borders. The bronze/dark foliage is lovely and the open flowers great for the bees.

Bishop of Oxford is a bright orange.

[-] The following 6 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Norfolk Grey, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Delicious Scarlet!
Next year I'm buying more, lots more Smile
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
[b]Wine Eyed Jill[/b]

My photos are getting better! Taken with my new camera. A lovely ball with a wine coloured centre - pinky peach petals edged in wine 
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • doublyjonah, Mark_Riga, Norfolk Grey, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Jimny14 Offline
Here's my only dahlia this year, it's one more flower than last year though

[-] The following 4 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Norfolk Grey, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
(26-09-2020, 10:17 PM)Scarlet Wrote: [b]Wine Eyed Jill[/b]

My photos are getting better! Taken with my new camera. A lovely ball with a wine coloured centre - pinky peach petals edged in wine 
So jealous, I love wine eyed Jill. I have signed up to peter nyssen this year I will not put off getting it another year.  Angel
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(01-11-2020, 01:46 PM)Norfolk Grey Wrote:
(26-09-2020, 10:17 PM)Scarlet Wrote: [b]Wine Eyed Jill[/b]

So jealous, I love wine eyed Jill. I have signed up to peter nyssen this year I will not put off getting it another year.  Angel
It can be a bit "yellow" especially towards the end of the season. I loved it early on...

Spec Offline
Scarlet do you just let you dahlias grow, or do you nip out side shoots to produce larger flowers?

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I would prefer to nip out side shoots so that they have a better stem for cutting. When
I do this the plant stays at a good height with the stems a decent thickness? When I leave them they still look pretty but the stems are much thinner and more prone to snap.

Early days in the season I will try to do this but as the garden picks up I find its not a job I do that much and they can get a bit neglected.

I wouldn't do it on the singles - as I don't use those for cutting and they are left to grow freely and I think look lovely with masses of smaller flowers.

If you don't go round deadheading, I think the plant slows right down, so I try to keep on top of that...not always successful.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Spec, Vinny

Spec Offline
Thanks Scarlet, your photos are very good, and was wondering what way you grew them, by the way is it Mr. S that takes the photos when they are so good Rolleyes

Spec Offline
I think I will be signing of for a while, I think there will be a chill coming inBig Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Scarlet