Container fig tree has no leaves
Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I was "given" a container fig tree for Christmas, but it has lived at my parents' ever since. I have only seen it in person about three times, but get sent occasional photo updates. Last year, it had loads of leaves by the middle of June, but none at all this year. There are nice green looking leaf buds at the end of the branches and a few figs forming, so it looks to be alive but very behind where it was this time last year. Looking back at photos, the leaves were just starting to come in by the middle of May last year and it was looking nice and leafy by mid June.

My Mum assures me it has been watered through the dry period (including with some diluted vermijuice), so she is a bit puzzled as to why there are no leaves. It probably could do with being potted-on but for now, I've suggested she try mulching it with some good compost as that has perked up my poor pot-bound rhubarb. I suppose I could also suggest she remove all the fruit so it puts all its energy into leaf growth? What about giving it a nitrogen feed? All ideas welcomed!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Are you sure you had lots of leaves this time last year? I have a fig tree, and it has only started to get some leaves this week. Mine is in the ground.

Here's mine today....sorry best photo I could get as it's hammering down at the moment.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I wouldn't take the figs off - that is the main reason to grow it. It may be the weather where you are that has held it back this year. I've one outside that has had leaves on for a while now but I'm the other side of the country to you.

I think they generally grow fruit buds before leaves.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina