Blight
Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I have posted this thread under weather as it is always weather related. We had a blight warning here in Kildare over the weekend so I spray my potatoes with Dithane. I also sprayed my potatoes in the poly tunnel as last year I lost a few indoor ones to blight. I also understand that tomatoes are susceptible to blight so I have sprayed them also. 

What do others do for spuds and tomatoes ?

What about chillies and cucumbers can they be affected by blight ?.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • JJB

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I spotted the first spots of blight on my tomatoes yesterday and with rain or storms everyday for the next fortnight I may spray them with the dregs of Bordeaux mixture. But with so much wet weather it is probably pointless.
To beat the blight round here tomatoes are generally grown in roofed but open sided structures sometimes (the posh ones!) with roll down sides, and they get stripped of all the leaves once there is enough fruit. I remove infected leaves and then the whole plant when the stem is attacked. Last season I had blight from July and managed to keep most of the plants going until into October.
I don't grow spuds and have never had a problem with cucs or chillies.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I grow a variety of maincrop potato, Carolus which has been free from blight the last few years since I started growing it. It was difficult to get this year so used some of last years crop and they are doing OK so far. As an added bonus, slugs don't seem that partial to it. We eat it mainly as wedges, baked and mash. Alouette
Earlies are usually OK, maybe get a bit of blight towards the end.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
^ Got distracted or something. I was going to say Alouette is another nice blight resistant variety but I find it is too attractive to slugs. I have planted a few as a sacrificial crop for the Carolus.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Mikey Offline
Trying to remember is it Maro Sarpo that is blight resistant?

With potatoes any sign and I cut them to the ground most of my pots are ready to lift now I’m just hanging on waiting for them to start to look tired and they’ll be up.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I sprayed mine again on Tuesday, it was very humid. They seem to be doing well. I believe both Nicola and Cara are reasonably blight resistant, though last year some of the Nicola in the tunnel got a dart but others didn’t
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Mikey