Comfrey Advice
Broadway Offline
Hello Folks

Again prep work for next year. I’m looking at getting some comfrey and wondered whether I should go for plugs/plants or seeds, if the former thoughts on how many?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

doublyjonah Offline
I was advised that you need plants/cuttings if you want sterile comfrey (Bocking 14) that won't seed and spread throughout the garden. Seems those beneficial super deep roots make it difficult to evict if it seeds where it's not wanted. In the end, I moved to a new plot with a patch already growing, so don't have info on how many or best sources.
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

toomanytommytoes Offline
Yes, go for Bocking 14. You can buy root cuttings on eBay or if you like I could send you some of my own. The plants get quite big and have a spread of about 60 centimetres, though most of mine are planted closer than that and do OK.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I've just chopped my single clump down to the ground for the second time. You should be able to get four crops a season from it. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 6 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mikey, Proserpina, toomanytommytoes

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
If anyone on your site has comfrey, they may give you a root if you ask nicely which you could chop into a few pieces, 2 to 3 inches long and plant in pots till they grow a few leaves.
[-] The following 5 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Vinny

Broadway Offline
(11-06-2020, 01:46 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Yes, go for Bocking 14. You can buy root cuttings on eBay or if you like I could send you some of my own. The plants get quite big and have a spread of about 60 centimetres, though most of mine are planted closer than that and do OK.
Good morning TMT

Thanks very much for the comfrey roots, potted on this morning Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Mikey, toomanytommytoes

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Do not buy anything that will self seed!
I made this stupid mistake thinking that as I have lots of space it would be fine, and then planted them at the end of the asparagus bed in the potager. The triphids are now coming up in every bed of the potager! Nightmare Sad
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway

Broadway Offline
(15-06-2020, 09:42 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(11-06-2020, 01:46 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Yes, go for Bocking 14. You can buy root cuttings on eBay or if you like I could send you some of my own. The plants get quite big and have a spread of about 60 centimetres, though most of mine are planted closer than that and do OK.
Good morning TMT

Thanks very much for the comfrey roots, potted on this morning Smile
Hiya TMT

Just an update, so far 4 of the 9 have germinated, thanks againSmile

[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • JJB, Mikey, toomanytommytoes

Broadway Offline
Quick update, I thought I'd killed the comfrey but its been greatSmile

Still working out all the uses.

mcdood Offline
Put it in water for a great feed, use it as a mulch, let it flower for the bees. great plants on the plot.