Acer - Japanese Maple
Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Every year my golden Acer gets a great crop of leaves but then it looks like the start falling apart and getting ragged. Any ideas why ?, I have only just started feeding it with grow more fertiliser.

Photo below

Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.

Jay Offline
Found this on the web Can, no idea if it’s useful to you or not?

https://japanesemaplelovers.com/is-my-ja...ple-dying/
West of Scotland
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(10-06-2020, 08:40 PM)Jay Wrote: Found this on the web Can, no idea if it’s useful to you or not?

https://japanesemaplelovers.com/is-my-ja...ple-dying/
Thanks Jay looks like I’ve nothing to worry about
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Jay

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
That looks exactly how mine look like At the moment - mine definitely get "burnt and dried out" by wind. I've a red one that never recovers. I am thinking of taking it out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(11-06-2020, 02:50 PM)Scarlet Wrote: That looks exactly how mine look like At the moment - mine definitely get "burnt and dried out" by wind. I've a red one that never recovers. I am thinking of taking it out.
Mine is like this every year when it grows it leaves back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Honestly the same here! I've 3 acers...none of them ever look good.
I'll put some photos up tomorrow.
  • Can the Man

MartinH Offline
I recognise this. I'm sure it's simply dryness at the roots. These japanese maples have shallow roots and are prone to drying out, which causes the leaves to shrivel. Unless they are planted in a shady, damp, sheltered place they really need a bucketful of water once a week to keep them happy. If you do that they can even cope with full sun and a bit of wind too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MartinH's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(13-06-2020, 08:10 AM)MartinH Wrote: I recognise this. I'm sure it's simply dryness at the roots. These japanese maples have shallow roots and are prone to drying out, which causes the leaves to shrivel. Unless they are planted in a shady, damp, sheltered place they really need a bucketful of water once a week to keep them happy. If you do that they can even cope with full sun and a bit of wind too.
Thanks Martin, mine is close to a bog lane so there is plenty of moisture also is against a patio fence o. One side and hedge at the back so it does get a reasonable amount of shade as well but the winds in Kildare are circling so you can never fully protect against wind

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I do get a dry garden in the Summer...but one of the borders were underwater for most of the winter so I don't think mine are due to lack of water in April. 
The damage is usually to young fresh leaves during windy and cold conditions. I have a very lovely purple acer that was gifted me for a special birthday and I lost a whole main branch which didn't make it through after getting hit by a late frost and wind a few years back. I don't think they like the "openness" of my garden. I'm hoping my native hedge will grow up fast and make it warmer.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

• Can the Man