Meringue
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I seem to have completely lost the ability to make meringue   Sad . Instead of lovely soft peaks that hold their shape. I make meringue puddle    Confused . I’ve tried everything older eggs, fresh eggs, adding sugar a little at a time, adding it all at once ( I know you’re not supposed to), adding it just after soft peaks form, adding it when it’s only just started to go white ( again I know you’re not supposed to). I’ve tried electric whisk, hand whisk. Everything I’m making it in is clean. I’m sure I’m not over whisking it ( less than 10/15 seconds between sugar additions) but the out come always proves I’ve done something wrong, I’m guessing it’s always over whisking, but I don’t know how or why. 
I used to be able to make it  Blush . 

What am I doing wrong? Advice please.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man

Roitelet Offline
Dont whisk in the sugar, fold it into the stiff whites with a metal spoon. If you whisk it you destroy the air that you have spent ages whisking into the whites.
[-] The following 2 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(09-06-2020, 02:17 PM)Roitelet Wrote: Dont whisk in the sugar, fold it into the stiff whites with a metal spoon. If you whisk it you destroy the air that you have spent ages whisking into the whites.
Thank you so much. I feel a day playing in the kitchen maybe needed tomorrow including a lemon meringue pie .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sad 
I make meringues often - but I use an electric whisk! 

1 egg white to 2oz sugar.

Very clean bowl - any yolk gets in it will be a puddle.

Whisk the whites until they form soft peaks and then add a spoon at a time of the sugar whisking well ensuring the sugar is well incorporated before adding more. 
Spoon on grease proof/baking parchment with a metal spoon.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Greenfingers Offline
I use an electric whisk too and add the sugar a tablespoon at a time. My tip....make sure the eggs are at room temperature before you begin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Greenfingers's post:
  • Small chilli