Turmeric
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Not really a  herb I know but if Mods want to shift this post, feel free.

I am a great believer in the power of Turmeric. After taking Turmeric capsules for a fortnight the advantages started to kick in and my Osteoarthritis became bearable. I was told by the Doctor to put up with the knee pain and take Ibruproven until the pain became too bad then he would put me in for a knee replacement. Angry
After taking Tumeric twice a day for the last three months or so I can walk my dog twice a day and visit the allotment every day relatively pain free. I no longer take Ibruproven or pain relieving medication which has to be good for my stomach.The pain before hand, especially at night was unbearable and affected my sleep.
Turmeric has lots of benefits which a quick google will inform you of. Idea
I asked my Pharmacist about it and she agreed that usually it took a couple of weeks to get into your system, and if it worked for me to stick with it. Cool
I wouldn't care, I don't even like the taste of it in cooking but take tasteless capsules.

All I am saying is that it has given me my mobility back Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Jay, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks Vinny. I've read about the power of turmeric before but only tried it as a powder, making a tea or adding it to food and I didn't like the taste. A pinch in a curry is OK but that's it.
What strength do you take? ............asking for a friend.Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Admin Offline
The Boss
great on maggots for Chubb fishing in the winter Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Broadway, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ve heard about the good turmeric can do. Afraid I’m incredibly cynical And like to know someone it’s actually worked for. Now I do, thanks Vinny.
I really like turmeric we use it a lot in cooking. Even used the fresh stuff once. It turn the whole kitchen yellow ! And it took a lot of cleaning. Didn’t actually notice any difference between fresh & powder ( apart from the yellow kitchen & taking 3 times longer to prepare). I have considered trying to grow it.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(09-06-2020, 11:02 AM)Small chilli Wrote: I’ve heard about the good turmeric can do. Afraid I’m incredibly cynical And like to know someone it’s actually worked for. Now I do, thanks Vinny.
I really like turmeric we use it a lot in cooking. Even used the fresh stuff once. It turn the whole kitchen yellow ! And it took a lot of cleaning. Didn’t actually notice any difference between fresh & powder ( apart from the yellow kitchen & taking 3 times longer to prepare).  I have considered trying to grow it.
I grew it on the windowsill last year. Quite an ornamental plant but likes a lot of heat. After preparing the corms I got from it (which were less than the corms I had planted!) I realised I didn't particularly like the taste and decided to stick with the capsules.
I take one 600mg capsule as soon as I get up in the morning and one 600mg capsule just before going to bed at evening.

I have been taking pure turmeric capsules but have just purchased some with 5% ground black pepper added which is supposed to help the Turmeric enter your system.
For me the Turmeric by itself has done the trick so it will be interesting to see if there is any difference with the ground black pepper added to the capsule.
I was sceptical as well but couldn't believe the difference after a fortnights use and wouldn't be without it now.

I did mention to the pharmacist that I took glucosamine as well and was told that would act as a preventative taken early enough but once you actually had osteoarthritis it would have little effect.
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks Vinny!
I've ordered 500mg Turmeric from Lloyds http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/nu-u-nu...5-capsules
Ordered 2 for free P&P and I'll be sharing.Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
My wife who suffers from Lyme disease takes turmeric and black pepper capsules. 2 in the morning 1 in the evening and it has changed her life no more knee joint. She says the black pepper is to aid digestion but said even though it says tasteless she can taste the turmeric and doesn’t like it.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(09-06-2020, 12:42 PM)Veggie Wrote: Thanks Vinny!
I've  ordered 500mg Turmeric from Lloyds http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/nu-u-nu...5-capsules
Ordered 2 for free P&P and I'll be sharing.Wink

That seems like a good deal Veggie. Let me know how you get on after 2 to 4 weeks use. Cool
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Stem20 Offline
I also take Turmeric and black pepper + Spirulina and Chlorella + Glucosamine + Omega 3 capsules on my wife's instruction as she believes she gets a lot of relief for her knees. I still get aches and pains particularly in my knees and shoulders but it's mainly that I overdo things most days, I also have some arthritis in my fingers. When i do crosswords I sometimes have to drop the pencil as my thumbs seize up. I wonder what I would be like if I took no supplements.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stem20's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(09-06-2020, 07:13 PM)Can the Man Wrote: My wife who suffers from Lyme disease takes turmeric and black pepper capsules. 2 in the morning 1 in the evening and it has changed her life no more knee joint. She says the black pepper is to aid digestion but said even though it says tasteless she can taste the turmeric and doesn’t like it.

Glad it's helped your OH Can the Man. Cool It has so many benefits methinks. I even think my chess playing has improved!  Rolleyes

I must admit I can't taste it at all with the un-peppered capsules. It will be interesting to see if that changes when I start using the peppered Turmeric? Huh I shouldn't think so though as I put loads of freshly ground black pepper on just about everything I eat and love the stuff! Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man