Standing charges
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(24-04-2024, 10:22 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(23-04-2024, 06:23 PM)Veggie Wrote: Hope you feel better for getting that off your chest, Vinny. Maybe its time you upped sticks and found yourself a spot of wilderness to live off grid. You know you want to. Big Grin
Funny you should say that veggie! I've been looking at small detached houses in the Outer Hebrides,(cheap and out of the way!)  one bedroom park places and even motorhomes. Upping sticks at my age is a big comittment and to go completely off grid  in a tiny home is another option I've l also ooked at. Rolleyes
Properties may be cheaper but the cost of living definitely isn’t. But beautiful.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(24-04-2024, 09:22 AM)Small chilli Wrote: I highly suggest you don’t try getting a new electric connection anytime soon. They really tray to shaft you then! If we lose the agreement we are about to have with the electric company. We will be looking into going off grid!
Not going into any more detail. Because I’ll rant and it won’t be polite. So I’d have to ban myself!
My inlaws bought a cottage with only a generator. It cost them £8000 to get an electrical connection from a cable 50 yards away! I would imagine modern diesel generators would be a lot quieter and fuel efficient than the chug-chug-chug of the older versions?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
(24-04-2024, 01:14 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(23-04-2024, 06:23 PM)Veggie Wrote: Hope you feel better for getting that off your chest, Vinny. Maybe its time you upped sticks and found yourself a spot of wilderness to live off grid. You know you want to. Big Grin
Funny you should say that veggie! I've been looking at small detached houses in the Outer Hebrides,(cheap and out of the way!)  one bedroom park places and even motorhomes. Upping sticks at my age is a big comittment and to go completely off grid  in a tiny home is another option I've l also ooked at. Rolleyes
Properties may be cheaper but the cost of living definitely isn’t. But beautiful.
30% more expensive from what I have read as everything has to be brought to the islands by ferries? and shops are closed all day Sunday and Wednesday! Big Grin 

The A banded houses I was looking at appear to have cheaper Counci tax and water rates and sewerage are inclusive though?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(24-04-2024, 01:21 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(24-04-2024, 01:14 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
30% more expensive from what I have read as everything has to be brought to the islands by ferries? and shops are closed all day Sunday and Wednesday! Big Grin 

The A banded houses I was looking at appear to have cheaper Counci tax and water rates and sewerage are inclusive though?
30% more sounds about right. Yeah everything comes in via ferries. If you’re looking at island serviced by Cal Mac ferries good luck! They’re getting more incompetent by the day! Another fairly long rant on that subject. That I won’t bore you with. Shops aren’t closed here on a Sunday or Wednesday. To many tourists to take money from. But then try and find some where to eat out during winter, chose is very limited. 
yeah first house we moved into our council tax & water / sewerage were all together. We only actually noticed that about 12 months after we moved in. Got a massive refund as we weren’t on mains water or sewerage. ! That house never had been on mains. So watch out for that!
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Strange thing about Scottish law is that the SELLER has to pay for a home report,not the buyer.The home report also lets you know what the surveyor values the property at,which is helpful. The home reports are also quite eaborate (18 pages) and answers all the main questions I would have asked.
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie