Hummus (not humus).
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I like chickpea hummus - so versatile for spreading on toast, eating with salad or as a dip with vegetables.
The recipe usually requires Tahini but they didn't have any in Lidl so I asked the Duck for an alternative recipe. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/easy_hummus_96922
This recipe uses smooth peanut butter instead of tahini and, as luck would have it, I was given a jar of that recently. I only buy Whole Earth Crunchy PB so the smooth stuff was going to be used for satay sauce and not eaten. 
Anyway, back to the recipe, which claims not to need a blender and can be made with a potato masher instead. Don't believe it! Either my tin of chickpeas were incredibly hard or my mashing power needed a bit more welly. I couldn't be faffed to resurrect the Kenwood from the top shelf so I used one of those stick blenders instead. Once I added the water and lemon juice, the chickpeas started to blend, before that they were flying everywhere and clogging the stick thingy. 
The verdict - looks and tastes good, not as gloopy as shop bought hummus but at least I know what's in it and, all the ingredients were FREE. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Very laudable, but can't stand the stuff (except Aldi's Moroccan flavured one). I expect its very nutritious. I've often wondered what to do with that old jar of tahini that I know is in the depths of the cupboard somewhere. Does tahini go off? If so it's beyond redemption.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I had a vintage jar of tahini too but decided not to risk using it - I'm not usually that squeamish about out-of-date stuff but there are limits!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB