2020 Seed Swap Circles
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Duds happen occasionally! Don't worry about it!
I've got
Sweet peas
Orlaya
Cornflower
Lychnis
Foxgloves
Black poppy - the double one
Holly hock - it was apricot
Clary sage - salvia
Annual scabious - white. I will remember what it's called tomorrow
Maybe tithonia
Random dahlia seeds - can be collected if anyone willing to try.

Veg/ not much
Black icicle tomato
Beans - lots drying, hoping for Kew blue, meuch, tresnjevac, rattlesnake.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Is it recommended we do a random sample viability test on all we save? i.e. do I sow a couple of everything I've saved to see if it grows?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mamzie, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(25-09-2020, 04:23 PM)JJB Wrote: Is it recommended we do a random sample viability test on all we save?  i.e. do I sow a couple of everything I've saved to see if it grows?
No I don't bother. We are friends. Everything is saved in the hope that it's viable - if it isn't we haven't lost anything. 
One year i sent every one globe thistle/Echinopes seed. None came ? I was really surprised but no one really minded. It's just one pot and not much time wasted?
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(25-09-2020, 08:14 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(25-09-2020, 04:23 PM)JJB Wrote: Is it recommended we do a random sample viability test on all we save?  i.e. do I sow a couple of everything I've saved to see if it grows?
No I don't bother. We are friends. Everything is saved in the hope that it's viable - if it isn't we haven't lost anything. 
One year i sent every one globe thistle/Echinopes seed. None came ? I was really surprised but no one really minded. It's just one pot and not much time wasted?

Phew!  That's a relief.  I'll try to check any seed I have a doubt about.  When saving tomato seed, what would happen, do you think, if I happened to leave the seeds to ferment a little longer than the three or four days. Would they still be worth saving? I forgot about some and the seeds have dried rather dark.  I've sown a couple to see what happens, so I'll probably be able to answer my own question.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mamzie, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've had some problems with Premature Germination this year.  Blush

Some of the Stupice seeds started to germinate before I had chance to dry them off - so sow lots of them, just in case!
Also, some of the Hunter CFBs came out their pods with little shoots on, ready to grow. I shan't be sharing those but I may plant them as an experiment.Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
You know when you've left the toms too long ....a little root starts to poke out Big Grin I've done that too! A few extra days is nothing to worry about.
Honestly don't worry about it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I have some magenta lychnis coronaria seeds. If anyone wants some.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Mamzie, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-09-2020, 04:28 PM)JJB Wrote: I have some magenta lychnis coronaria seeds. If anyone wants some.
After googling,  it turns out all those words I can’t read, let alone try to pronounce    Wink . Translate to rose campion.
Talk English women  Tongue  Tongue  . Big fancy words just confuse me  Big Grin  .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Mamzie, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(28-09-2020, 08:19 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(28-09-2020, 04:28 PM)JJB Wrote: I have some magenta lychnis coronaria seeds. If anyone wants some.
After googling,  it turns out all those words I can’t read, let alone try to pronounce    Wink . Translate to rose campion.
Talk English women  Tongue  Tongue  . Big fancy words just confuse me  Big Grin  .

You sound like my husband!  Big Grin  I had to Google it too.  I've always known it as lychnis (lambs ear plant if talking to Paul) but doubted I'd got the name right.  Having found lychnis on Google the picture wasn't anything like my plant, but eventually found the magenta one.  It cant be anything exotic because all my plants are either hand me downs or freebies , I'm too tight to pay garden centre prices.  Look on it as a learning exercise, you can now go forth and confuse others.  What would we do without the internet.   I've just spent the last hour trying  to locate aa replacement kitchen cupboard door handle of a kitchen we had put in in 2005.  Without the internet it would have been a nightmare.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Mamzie, Small chilli, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
I've mostly got flowers - Macedonian Scabious, Eryngium planum, Teucrium hircanicum, Echium 'Blue Bedder', Cornflower 'Black Ball', Salvia nemorosa, Veronica spicata (tiiiiiiiiiiiny seeds), Agastache foeniculum, Dahlia 'Mignon' and Lemon/Tangerine Gem Marigolds.

Tomato seed saving didn't go very well (apart from Rosella) so not much to share there. I have some Shishito and Aji Delight, which are both no/very low heat peppers. Also some Thai Hot and Razzamatazz (which I'm not sure is completely true to type, it was from a GYO seed circle, strong plants and very productive but the fruit don't start off purple as they should).
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Mamzie, Mark_Riga, Veggie