2024 Tomato Grow List
JJB Offline
Moonraker
Wink I'm a member of Tomato Sowing Anonymous my name is JJB and I have an addiction to sowing tomato seeds. I have a confession to make:

Notwithstanding the resolution to grow less tomatoes in 2024, which to be fair, I have stuck to so far. I have sown yet another variety, even though I had 'finished' tomato sowing.  Last year's variety count was 34 different varieties and until this morning the count was 28. Last year was 4 gh borders of 5 plants each, this year will be probably 4 borders with 4 plants each with others growing outside.  Then I found some scribbled wishlist of tomatoes from some time earlier in the year and on it was Derby Striped (Veggie seed swap). I googled it and thought it would be a good addition.  So now it's a total of 29, still less that 2023 but not as much less as I had planned. I consider I have falllen off the wagon and need forgiveness.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Garrett, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Your tomato growing rehab is doing ok JJB. You’re still 5 varieties less than last year. Baby steps, you’ll get there.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Veggie

Garrett Offline
New
Quote:After trying but mostly failing with beefsteaks, I'm growing mostly cherry or medium size as they'll all be grown outside:

5 x Green Zebra (my favourite!)
3 x Gardener's Delight (2005 vintage)
2 x Aunt Madge's
1 x Jaune Flame
1 x Piglet Willie's French Black

The following six are new to me so just one of each to try them:

1 x Ron's Carbon Copy
1 x Derby Striped
1 x Michael Pollan
1 x Mango Lassi
1 x Gobstopper
1 x Santiam Sunrise 

I also have 2 x Tumbling Tom Yellow sown last month currently enjoying life on a south facing windowsill. 

[-] The following 2 users Like Garrett's post:
  • toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(07-03-2024, 12:32 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: I've had good results with submarine rootstock from Mole seeds since 2018. Germination not brilliant, 18 out of about 33 seeds this year so far but last year had 100% success with the grafts and would have been a bumper crop except that the season was cut short due to leaf mould.

Spoke too soon, 30 submarine have now germinated and only a couple look too weedy to graft onto. Last year I grafted 27/03 but will beaway for the weekend so will be 1st or 2nd of April this year.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Scarlet, toomanytommytoes

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Just been through my tomato seed box and pulled out:-
Aurora
Gardeners Ecstasy
Gardeners Sweetheart
Black Icicle
Paul Robeson
Darby Striped
Irish Gardeners Delight
Mountain Princess
Resi
Primabella
Primavera
Legend
Eva's ball
Reisetomate
Rosella
Ruby Falls
Yellow Stuffer
Tutti Frutti F1
Pertsevidnyy
Artisan Pink Tiger
Rapunzel
Reinhart's Purple Sugar
Radio (one very old seed) I lost the only seed somewhere on the work surface!!

Not sure that all of these will make the final cut but its a start!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes

toomanytommytoes Offline
(17-03-2024, 10:37 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(07-03-2024, 12:32 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: I've had good results with submarine rootstock from Mole seeds since 2018. Germination not brilliant, 18 out of about 33 seeds this year so far but last year had 100% success with the grafts and would have been a bumper crop except that the season was cut short due to leaf mould.

Spoke too soon, 30 submarine have now germinated and only a couple look too weedy to graft onto. Last year I grafted 27/03 but will beaway for the weekend so will be 1st or 2nd of April this year.
I've got 80% germination from the Estamino so far, pretty happy with that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Mark_Riga