Inflation
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Good news for Vinny - not so good for pigs. Sad

"The cost of some items including meat, crumpets, chocolate biscuits, furniture and household items fell. However, petrol and diesel prices rose.

Meat prices, driven by a drop in the cost of pork, fell by 0.5% between February and March, compared with a rise of 1.4% a year ago. It means the meat price rises slowed further to 3.1% in the year to March, the lowest rate since November 2021.

Prices for furniture and household goods like cleaning products also fell by 0.9% in the year to March."

Not much to make me smile on that list. Meat, crumpets, furniture and cleaning products, don't appear in my shopping basket often
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I buy cream crackers (And NO I am not!!!) regualrily as I go through quite a lot. The reason is that I like to slather them with butter which is my way of dealing with my carb addiction! I know crackers are high carb but hopefully the amount of butter I add to them will make my body use fat as a source of fuel rather than the carbs inthem? Crackers are the only carbs I use. (Apart from the odd ice cream) Blush

I love belly pork done in the air fryer but it is never cut thin enough to fully 'crisp up'. I have bought a hand slicer to facilitate this and now buy my belly pork in a lump.I then have to freeze it before slicing it thinly, similar to bacon! Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Notwithstanding the figures, I'm not noticing the reduction in inflation. They can spout whatever figures they want but until you notice a significant drop in the weekly shop/bills, it's just number crunching. I found a 2008 Tesco receipt in the iron box and it was quite surprising. Some items were even more expensive. The cheap and cheerful iron was £4.50. I think I used for the first time yesterday. That was a real necessity wasn't it?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

MartinH Offline
The reduction in inflation means prices are still going up every week, just not as quickly. We've got a long wait until prices actually drop. Probably never happen.
[-] The following 4 users Like MartinH's post:
  • JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(18-04-2024, 08:53 AM)JJB Wrote: Notwithstanding the figures, I'm not noticing the reduction in inflation. They can spout whatever figures they want but until you notice a significant drop in the weekly shop/bills, it's just number crunching. I found a 2008 Tesco receipt in the iron box and it was quite surprising. Some items were even more expensive. The cheap and cheerful iron was £4.50. I think I used for the first time yesterday. That was a real necessity wasn't it?
Whats an iron? Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(19-04-2024, 07:28 AM)MartinH Wrote: The reduction in inflation means prices are still going up every week, just not as quickly. We've got a long wait until prices actually drop. Probably never happen.
And all of the products which have shrunk in volume or weight are never going to go back to their original size.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Admin, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Bren Offline
(19-04-2024, 09:26 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(18-04-2024, 08:53 AM)JJB Wrote: Notwithstanding the figures, I'm not noticing the reduction in inflation. They can spout whatever figures they want but until you notice a significant drop in the weekly shop/bills, it's just number crunching. I found a 2008 Tesco receipt in the iron box and it was quite surprising. Some items were even more expensive. The cheap and cheerful iron was £4.50. I think I used for the first time yesterday. That was a real necessity wasn't it?
Whats an iron? Smile
It's a power tool that usually kept under the stairs or  lurking at the back of a cupboard.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(19-04-2024, 05:27 PM)Bren Wrote:
Whats an iron? Smile
It's a power tool that usually kept under the stairs or  lurking at the back of a cupboard.
How right you are. This very cheap iron was stored on  the  very top shelf of the  broom cupboard, behind paint tins and dust sheets, all but inaccessible. I'm vaguely surprised I even remembered it was there.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(19-04-2024, 08:16 PM)JJB Wrote:
(19-04-2024, 05:27 PM)Bren Wrote:
Whats an iron? Smile
How right you are. This very cheap iron was stored on  the  very top shelf of the  broom cupboard, behind paint tins and dust sheets, all but inaccessible. I'm vaguely surprised I even remembered it was there.
I’m still using the iron I left home with ** years ago  Big Grin . You won’t be surprised to find it doesn’t get used very often.

(weddings, funerals & court cases only  Big Grin )
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Vinny