Aquaponics/Hydroponics
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I've mentioned elsewhere that I picked up a Aquaponics/Hydroponics set up yesterday. I've found out some more about it. Its a Farm Urban Produce Pod. If you want to build your own here are the instructions. https://farmurbantrust.org.uk/wp-content...cratch.pdf
I won't be putting live fish in mine but it does explain why there were some plastic fish tank plants and lots of sand in the bottom of the one I have. 
I need to read more about this thing as I don't want to use electricity to run a pump. That would limit the places where I could use it.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
Did it come with the clay pebble grow media? I think you could turn it into a wicking system if you put some capillary matting through the holes of the top container going down into the bottom, like a Quadgrow.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
No, not the clay pebbles. There are 2 net bags of white plastic cubes that look like pasta! Haven't worked out what these are yet!

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I think they may be Bio Balls!! https://fishlab.com/bio-balls/
They're for filters apparently
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

toomanytommytoes Offline
Like this kind of thing? https://rukminim2.flixcart.com/image/850....jpeg?q=90
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
That's the things!

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller

Having spent a little time playing about with this gadget I'm coming to the idea that it wouldn't work for me. Firstly, its very big and bulky. It takes up a lot of floor space and would be even worse on a bench. Only one GH (GH4) has electricity so a pump is not feasible. 
The top and bottom parts are connected by tubes that run between them, for the water to pump through  which makes them fiddly to separate. 
At the moment, I think I'll split them into 2 sections. The top half could be used for starting plants in the little pots in the holes , maybe with liquid feed  but I'd have to seal the holes that the pipes run through  before putting liquid in there. The bottom half is more self-contained with a lift up flap at the front. This bit looks more like a storage container to hold potting compost or summat. 
I'm sure I'll think of something.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli