First swallows to fledge
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
This little chappie followed me into a shed and got stuck by the window. I removed the cobwebs from his feet and let him fly off, which he did very well considering he only started flying today.

[-] The following 8 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, doublyjonah, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
Awww what a little cutie!
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
The last brood of swallows are just leaving the nest, saw the first youngster today. And in only a few weeks they will attempt to fly to sub-Saharan Africa, across the Med. and Sahara Desert. We were in Malawi a few years ago and saw swallows there and wondered if they could have come from one of the nests in our old coal-shed.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Scarlet, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
This little chappy is looking quite sanguine.

but this one looks a bit more fragile. Hopefully will strengthen up over the next 3 to 4 weeks, if they have that long.

Their parents came soon after to give them a feed.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
We have had huge mixed flocks of swallows and martins swooping around each evening and then gathering on the wires before heading over the Pyrenees the next morning. Stunning, but also a sign of autumn.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Online
Super Pest Controller
I used to have loads visiting. They nested in a car port and used to poop on the lawnmower Big Grin Loved them zipping past me when I walked to the garden and then one year nothing! They just didn't come back. Sad
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
The loss of insects is having a catastrophic impact up the food chain and one result is fewer and fewer swallows. While we might think our little squirt of insecticide is solving one local problem, it is creating so many more on a big scale.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Scarlet