Square Yard Gardening
Broadway Offline
(10-01-2024, 11:17 PM)Veggie Wrote: I've just bought this book "One Magic Square. Grow your own food on one square metre"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Magic-Squar...0857842803
Unlike the other SQM books it doesn't divide the metre into 9 little squares but designs the bed in its entirety. There are plans for themed beds like pasta, pizza, curry, salad, Aztec, beans and more. One idea that I like is to run a tall crop, like beans diagonally across the bed, splitting it into 2 triangles. 
Food for thought!
Will be interested on your review Veggie, I'm tempted.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(06-01-2024, 12:02 AM)Veggie Wrote: Thank you, JJB. This may be the first time you've said I've had a good idea. Big Grin
They'll definitely be flat, "raised beds". I'll mark them out with canes or some bits of dismantled GH. Need to clear some ground first!
The rows will need to run parallel to the outside edges, with another row in the middle - which will make it easier to sow. If I sowed across the bed I'd have to move from one side to the other to finish sowing as I can't reach across 36".
That's why the majority of my beds are only two feet wide! Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
The old measurements were sensible.A yard was a pace, a foot was (I'll give you three guesses!) Rolleyes An inch is a thumb joint to end of thumb! Simples! Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(11-01-2024, 06:59 PM)Vinny Wrote: The old measurements were sensible.A yard was a pace, a foot was (I'll give you three guesses!) Rolleyes An inch is a thumb joint to end of thumb! Simples! Big Grin
A hand was a  ...............Another one for you to guess!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Vinny Offline
(11-01-2024, 07:31 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(11-01-2024, 06:59 PM)Vinny Wrote: The old measurements were sensible.A yard was a pace, a foot was (I'll give you three guesses!) Rolleyes An inch is a thumb joint to end of thumb! Simples! Big Grin
A hand was a  ...............Another one for you to guess!
Ah but, that was just for the horsey people! Rolleyes
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
A yard of pace is only for people with long legs. I'm more of a two-footer. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(11-01-2024, 10:26 PM)Veggie Wrote: A yard of pace is only for people with long legs. I'm more of a two-footer. Big Grin
When I first started as a Groundsman working on eleven football pitches they were marked out by my boss, an old game keeper. He never used a measure but paced them out, he put a heal mark in with his welly and told me to stick a pin in where he healed. When he retired and I took over his job naturally I set them out  properly with a measuring tape. The majority were very close to his healed positions so he must have had an exact yard pace!
Unfortunately he had no idea about angles and all the pitches were parallelograms until I hit them with the auld 3,4,5 triangle or the lesser known 5,12,13 triangle Big Grin
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I had a job for a few years that involved advertisement sites on buildings and roadsides. If the council refused to grant permission for the advertisement the applicant had the right to appeal against the decision. It was my job to determine who was right - the council or the applicant. I travelled all over Wales looking at these sites. One of the criteria was the distance over which the sign could be seen. Obviously, the applicant wanted it to be visible over a long distance while the local residents took the opposite view. To measure the approximate distance I would pace it out and I soon learnt that my pace was nothing like a yard. Imagine how stupid I would look trying to stretch my legs to pace a yard whilst trying to look inconspicuous in a town centre!! Sometimes I'd take the dog with me so that I could pretend I was dog walking instead of walking up and down the same bit of road from all angles.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(12-01-2024, 12:27 AM)Veggie Wrote: I had a job for a few years that involved advertisement sites on buildings and roadsides. If the council refused to grant permission for the advertisement the applicant had the right to appeal against the decision. It was my job to determine who was right - the council or the applicant. I travelled all over Wales  looking at these sites. One of the criteria was the distance over which the sign could be seen. Obviously, the applicant wanted it to be visible over a long distance while the local residents took the opposite view. To measure the approximate distance I would pace it out and I soon learnt that my pace was nothing like a yard. Imagine how stupid I would look trying to stretch my legs to pace a yard whilst trying to look inconspicuous in a town centre!! Sometimes I'd take the dog with me so that I could pretend I was dog walking instead of walking up and down the same bit of road from all angles.
I instantly thought of John Cleese in the Ministery of Funny Walks! Big Grin
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Just for you, Vinny. Big Grin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCLp7zodUiI
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny