Square Yard Gardening
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Slight tweak to my plans - the beds will be 2'6" square with 4 beds in a 10' long row. There'll be 4 rows of beds with a 1' wide path between each row. That means there'll be 16 x 2'6" square beds in the 10' x 13' bed. The rows will run west to east and the big bed slopes from north to south. That's the theory and it looks good on the back of an envelope.
I've even had a practice run in my kitchen where the tiles on the floor are approx 15" square so 4 squares are the size of a bed and one row of tiles is a path - ish.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Sounds awfully technical, but having 'marked' the beds they will then be permanent for that season. Having now decided your bed size do you have to accommodate flopping over the edges/growing space. Some plants might take up a whole bed with one plant.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its not technical at all! Just 4, 10' long beds, each 2'6" wide.
Floppy things like courgettes and squash will be planted elsewhere - probably the old pond again.
Hopefully, I'll grow roots, shoots and leaves in these minibeds. Time will tell.Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Feel free to mock me! I confused the orientation of the big bed, its 13' West - East and 10' North to South, not the other way round so I've ripped up my envelope and started another one. We now have 3x 13' beds running west to east, each comprising 5 beds approx 2'6" square.
The paths between the rows will be 15" wide.
If only I'd looked at this first https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.php?tid=1274
  • Mark_Riga, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(14-01-2024, 06:55 PM)Veggie Wrote: Feel free to mock me! I confused the orientation of the big bed, its 13' West - East and 10' North to South, not the other way round so I've ripped up my envelope and started another one. We now have 3x 13' beds running west to east, each comprising 5 beds approx 2'6" square.
The paths between the rows will be 15" wide.
If only I'd looked at this  first https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.php?tid=1274
Sounds similar to my diagonal beds? Each are  two foot wide with  fourteen inch paths. Lengths vary. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The Big bed is going to be extended to the south and should give me 5 rows of beds, not 3.
My other idea is to mark out the 2'6" squares with a line of companion plants - like tagetes or spring onions. Plants that don't take up much space but do something useful - and it will stop me tripping over bits of stick. Wink
  • JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(14-01-2024, 06:55 PM)Veggie Wrote: Feel free to mock me! 

Mock you? Heaven forfend!
As they say, what goes around, comes around.  It must be a good plan because you thought of it twice. Plant edges of something useful sounds pleasing.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I grow in beds that are 4ft/1.2metres wide. I plant in long rows. Usually 5 rows - most of my plants are 9inch/22cm apart or 4rows with plants spaced 1ft/30cm apart.

Dahlias are give a little bit more room - 2 rows, Plants spaced 18inch/45cm apart

My paths are 2ft/60cm wide
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • JJB