2024 - Plans and Hopes
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Star 
What do you hope to do on your plot in 2024? 
Aims, ambitions, plans?

2023 thread https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.php?tid=1744
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
I want to get my little tunnel up and have to , I’m sowing chillies tomorrow  Big Grin .
More cottage garden beds dug and planted.
Hopefully start on some of the veggie beds.
Get lots of drainage in.

I will elaborate more when I know    Blush
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I want to expand my veg growing area and grow more food.
I need the LIttle Shop at the end of the garden to have more products available.
I hope to spend very little (preferably nothing) on the garden. I'm about to turn into the Moneyless Gardener. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I would like to increase the amount of dahlias I grow. I covered a small patch of grass last year but its not going to be enough. So i may try to dig a couple more beds.
I love the idea of using lots of perennial plants for cutting but they cost .... so I will look at those easy to start from seed that give good return for the space.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

MartinH Offline
Scarlet, I'm no good at Dahlia cuttings but I find it's easy to at least double the stock each year by carefully dividing the tubers. If you can keep them alive over winter, that is...
[-] The following 2 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(17-01-2024, 10:41 AM)MartinH Wrote: Scarlet, I'm no good at Dahlia cuttings but I find it's easy to at least double the stock each year by carefully dividing the tubers. If you can keep them alive over winter, that is...
I do split my tubers and last year I had some success with dahlia cuttings.... although the year before I lost most of my tubers due to the wet then the freeze here, was -12 for days and the tubers were still water logged. This year they look ok...bug would like more varieties Big Grin its a bit addictive 
Though all suggestions for perennial flowering plants that are good for cutting that I can do from seed are welcome! I started a bed of eryngium last year, that looks good. I bought alstromeria - but they were privey...and Ive invested in peony tubers, so Im looking for some cheaper options
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
My hopes for this year are first of all to continue with good health that I am sure gardening is a big help towards.

I would also like to get my vegetable plots under control. They have got a bit unruly in the last few years. Also the flower borders but I think nature is winning hands down. I'm amazed at how far underground some roots will travel before surfacing. Damson/greengage have travelled 6' to 10' underground and couch grass at least 5'. Winter is the time of year to get on top of things but weeds are nearly impossible to remove from very wet soil and when it is freezing nearly everything is impossible. I've been trying to clear an old asparagus bed populated now with bramble, nettles, couch and damson mainly but still not been able to finish it off. In the cold spell, I've washed the inside of a small greenhouse with Jeyes fluid but doubt that will clear all the spider mite it was infested with. I would be quite happy with the same yield of produce as last year with may be a few more brassicas.

Here is the old asparagus patch before I started with suckering damson/greengages in the middle..

[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie