2024 - What's made you happy today?
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(25-01-2024, 10:43 PM)JJB Wrote:
(25-01-2024, 01:14 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Playing with my bread maker. It’s like a new toy after being in storage for so long. Making my very first brioche.

How did the brioche turn out. Was is as soft as the bought sort?
I’ve never eaten it before. Believe it or not! But apparently not quite as soft as it should be. Tasted right through. I didn’t think it was quite right because it had sunk    Blush . I think it was a combination of not using bread flour and the eggs being a little too large .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(25-01-2024, 11:37 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(25-01-2024, 01:14 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Playing with my bread maker. It’s like a new toy after being in storage for so long. Making my very first brioche.

I’ve never eaten it before. Believe it or not! But apparently not quite as soft as it should be. Tasted right through. I didn’t think it was quite right because it had sunk    Blush . I think it was a combination of not using bread flour and the eggs being a little too large .

A good excuse to try again when that lot is eaten up. Like you, until recently,  I'd not eaten it before. I'd not fancied sweet plain bread, but now, having bought some to make the base of a frangipane apple tart   https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/mar...e-pudding/  which is very nice, I'm hooked.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(26-01-2024, 09:40 AM)JJB Wrote:
(25-01-2024, 11:37 PM)Small chilli Wrote:

A good excuse to try again when that lot is eaten up. Like you, until recently,  I'd not eaten it before. I'd not fancied sweet plain bread, but now, having bought some to make the base of a frangipane apple tart   https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/mar...e-pudding/  which is very nice, I'm hooked.
Apparently it also makes very good french toast. I’ll find out later    Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Bren Offline
SC Brioche is my favourite bread for french toast. Not made my own though just a sliced supermarket loaf.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
The first daffs are flowering and the little purple crocus are popping up in the grass. Spring is almost here!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Got three different types of onion sets from B&M for a fiver! Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(27-01-2024, 03:50 PM)Vinny Wrote: Got three different types of onion sets from B&M for a fiver! Cool
I've just planted one of the bags I bought in B&M and there were more than promised on the bag (50) -  more than 60.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Bought a holly bush in a basket from Morries, reduced from £15.00 to £3.00! Why its in a basket I don't know?

I just hope it's got a root system and wasn'nt  just a branch stuck in compost! Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
My big girl turned 5. We had her first birthday with friends instead of a small family party (or a lockdown, video chat party). I think fun was had.

[-] The following 4 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Broadway, Mark_Riga, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Happy Birthday Big Girl, from all of us. xxx
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • doublyjonah