New Allotment / New Allotmenteer.
Geraldine Offline
Had to Google the title, wasn't sure if 'allotmenteer' was actually a real word and not just a made up one, the more I looked at it the stranger it seemed.  Smile

Anyway.....recently got the keys to a new plot, just a little one but I think it's a good starter size for me considering how unfit I presently am.

I wanted to start from scratch and remove everything that was already there and a lovely fellow plot holder and her husband did an initial dig over for me and removed pretty much all the rubbish. I wanted to have a small paved area to sit at, I was happy to lose a bit of growing ground for this purpose and I can always put things in pots here if needs be. The original path was very wobbly and the scaffolding edging was all rotten and crumbling so all that had to be removed, thankfully it was easy enough due to the condition of it.

The plot has wire fencing on 3 sides and a wooden fence and gate which again was in bad condition and just collapsed when the gate was opened. I pulled it down and built a new one and although it's not perfect, I think it looks much much better. I've still to build the gate as I'm waiting to get the area slabbed first, it'll be easier that way.

The other plot holders are all lovely and many of them have helped me get started, whether that is digging or donating their surplus plants. I have to admit to being absolutely exhausted after a very short space of time at the plot, simply because my fitness levels are in my boots but I'm enjoying it and looking forward to the days when things start to feel easier.

So, here are a few pics to be going on with. There's not too much growing yet as I wanted all the tough stuff out the way first even if that meant missing the growing season for a lot of things.

[-] The following 7 users Like Geraldine's post:
  • Admin, Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Looks fantastic, G. Well done you and your fellow plotholders for all the hard work. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Geraldine

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Wow Geraldine looks fantastic and welcome to the forum by the way. I like your builders straight lines and brickwork did you do that yourself ?
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Geraldine

Admin Offline
The Boss
Fantastic, well done you! I look forward to seeing it full of produce Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Geraldine

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Nice looking plot, but don't leave it bare. Rolleyes

There is plenty of stuff that can be planted or sown now you have the groundwork done. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Geraldine, Veggie

Bren Offline
A good looking plot Smile and like others have said It’s not to late to sow or plant your crops to get a harvest this year.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Geraldine, Veggie

Geraldine Offline
Thanks all. Yes Can, did all the bits myself. Not absolutely perfect but looks fine. Smile

Slabs are down now. I was going to lay them myself, but admittedly it would have taken me some time to do so I didn't lay them myself, a friend of a friend did. I have mixed feelings about them, it all looks great but some of the slabs rock a bit when you stand on them. The ground underneath was still a bit stoney which is why there was loads of sand and cement got for the job to help get a level base but he said there was too much and only used half of it. I'm trying not to fixate on this as it would mean a fair upheaval to fix it and it is *only* (?) an allotment and not my garden at home so........

Anyway, here's updated pics.

[-] The following 2 users Like Geraldine's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
That looks amazing - well done. And how lovely to have willing helpers amongst your fellow allotmenteers.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Geraldine

Geraldine Offline
(10-06-2020, 11:25 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: ...........how lovely to have willing helpers amongst your fellow allotmenteers.

Thank you PP.

I am very very fortunate in that it does seems to be a little 'community' and if one needs help then some others will chip in, they really are lovely people. I'll be happy to pay it forward in turn. (As long as it's not digging, digging kills me in minutes, lol. )
[-] The following 2 users Like Geraldine's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot

SarrissUK Offline
Digging is absolutely the best exercise there is! I don't do it either lol

It looks fantastic luv, what a great job you've done Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, Geraldine