Things with memories
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I don't mean phones and computers etc with "memories", I mean items that you have that bring back memories - maybe of people who gave them to you, or places that you visited to acquire them.  Memories that only you have, attached to items that would be pretty ordinary to most people.  

I've posted elsewhere about the dining chairs with sagging bottoms that we bought in 1975 in St. Ives. I can "see" the shop where we bought them, it was so small that they only had 2 chairs in stock and had to order another 2 for us, which we collected on the next trip to the in-laws in their old fisherman's cottage in Virgin Street. I dreaded going there. It was a 5 hour drive on a Friday evening after work, heavy traffic on the motorway, everyone heading to Cornwall for the weekend, and we'd have to repeat it in the opposite direction on Sunday evening to be back in time for work for Monday. 
Today, we chopped up 3 of the chairs but there is one left, to bring back those sweet and sad memories of days of yore, 48 years ago. 

Share your special memories please. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
I’ve so many things with memories attached to them.
I’ve got a crochet blanket on my bed. I remember my Nan making it. I got to choose which colour went next a couple of times. I also remember how annoyed she was when she had to start a new colour only 3” from the end of the blanket  Smile . I can hear her now,  sat there “oh spit “ . When she realised she hadn’t quite got enough wool. 

I’ve got a cuddly toy snowman. That my best friend brought me for Christmas 2005 I think. He’s been gone nearly 20 years now. We had such a fun evening when he brought Christmas presents round that year. 

I’ve lots of other things as well, I’m quite sentimental. Which might surprise some    Smile .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 6 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
There are 2 rooms in this house that have plate racks around the walls, the dining room and the hall. The plates on the dining room racks are souvenirs from various holidays we had abroad - a plate was the one, and usually the only, memento that we brought home. Many of the Greek plates are a bit similar but there are a few special ones that remind me not only of the holiday but of the marketplace where they were bought. I can conjure up the smell of the spices, the heat and dust, the bartering, the food we ate and the people we met, just by looking at the plate. If these plates went to a charity shop, nobody would be interested in them, but to me, they're special memories of times I'll never live again.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
When mum died my lad was setting up his first home with his then girlfriend, now wife. Lots of mum's furniture and other items went to help him start out.

To this day he has a round pine dining table that still has the edges adorned with the small sticky vinyl labels that used to be on apples from supermarkets. Dad used to remove the apple label and stick it to the table, much to mum's disgust. The lad still has one of mum's easy chairs and lots of kitchen ware. I go over to his and am fondly reminded of mum and dad.

I've got plants from both mum and MiL that bring back memories of their gardens. The whole house if filled with sentimental stuff, merely because I don't throw anything away. Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 6 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Farendwoman, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
We have a 3 legged 'milking' stool that my mum bought us years ago. I used ti use it regularly when milking goats we kept. I use it now while doing jobs requirng bending like going through bags of potatoes removing shoots.
[-] The following 6 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
With me it's a teddy's and three polar bears. Rolleyes All sitting at the top of my bed. As my kids grew up. and abandoned them I just couldn't throw them out. Each morning I talk to them and re-arange them. " Get yourself sat up there Ted, what you doing lolling about. Stop lying on top of flittle Ted Polar bear,he won't be able to breathe!" Big Grin 

Some of them must be 40years old. Smile

Can't believe I have just told you lot this!!!! Blush
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Bren Offline
My oldest item is my doll Jane I had just before starting school she's plastic including her hair and she's always sat on a bedroom chair. She doesn't say Mama anymore probably because I always used to take her in the bath with me when I was little.
[-] The following 6 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(31-10-2023, 12:24 PM)Vinny Wrote: With me it's a teddy's and three polar bears. Rolleyes All sitting at the top of my bed. As my kids grew up. and abandoned them I just couldn't throw them out. Each morning I talk to them and re-arange them. " Get yourself sat up there Ted, what you doing lolling about. Stop lying on top of flittle Ted Polar bear,he won't be able to breathe!" Big Grin 

Some of them must be 40years old. Smile

Can't believe I have just told you lot this!!!! Blush

Vinny, you're not alone. P talks to and rearranges the soft toys left behind by the lad and my mother who collected teddy bears, probably about 10 individuals. The lad used to collect beanie babies (remember them?) We have three all with names and date of birth labels.  P says he doesn't feel quite so weird now you've confessed.  Rolleyes
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
If it helps, I have my husband's little teddy bear that he used to talk too as well. I'm afraid I've forgotten what its name was!
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
You boys are not alone. I have dog. Dog lives on my bed. Had him since I was 3. He’s a well traveled dog. He used to go on holiday with me as a child ( he’s been to Devon many many times, Rhyl when it was a holiday destination and later home, Malta and all the other places I’ve lived Somerset, Colchester, Stafford and finally Mull ). I never played with him, but he always had to be on my bed. And he still does  Blush . He doesn’t have to go on holiday with me anymore    Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny