Mind blowing
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Last night while suffering from insomnia (again) I came across this YouTube video. Just over an hour of gardening hacks. That will apparently blow your mind!! It definitely did blow my mind! Not in the way they were hoping, I don’t think! 

https://youtu.be/O_pMzgwaw7k?si=IHSOxoFVRTFYqr7n

Now as I was watching this in bed at 3.30 this morning. I didn’t have the volume on. So really couldn’t say if there is a stunning commentary to accompany this. To be fair one or two did look mildly interesting & believable. 
A couple of my favourite just so you have an idea. When a Christmas cactus grew after sowing dragon fruit seeds. And a couple of very funny mushroom growing methods. I particularly liked the ones that grew from stalks of you bog standard shop brought shrooms in a sealed jam jar of spent coffee grounds ( I think). Best bit they didn’t appear on the surface, like every mushroom ever! They grew almost at the bottom of the jar and had to be dug out almost! Gods help us if anyone believes half this stuff! 
If you’re a fan of cactus, don’t watch this video. Some of the stuff they do to them is barbaric !! And half the time, I couldn’t work out why. 

Anyway if you’re ever suffering from insomnia and want a flipping good giggle, watch this !  Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm pleased to say that insomnia is not one of my problems so I don't need to lose an hour of my life watching this! Most of the "hacks" that pop up on FB are totally pointless and probably don't work.

Why do they call them "hacks" anyway?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have no I’d why they’re called hacks. I thought a hack is a short cut. But you can’t do that with growing. Maybe because they wouldn’t get as many views if they were called time wasting nonsense !
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Perhaps we should add our own "hacks" here - not in video format though!
How about.............
Are you too short to close the top window once its open? Can't reach the handle to pull it closed? Use a trouser hanger to hook over the handle and pull it towards you. Result, a closed window - which reminds me - must go and close the bathroom window with my trusty hanger. Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I like it. Our own gardening hacks.
Can’t think of any at the moment. Sure I will at some point.  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I spotted an old guy the other day using his walking stick to pull down branches on hazel bushes in the woods and gather hazel nuts! Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm sure lots of people who walk with sticks don't really need them to walk with but use them for picking blackberries, tripping up passers by, poking in the spokes of cyclists and, as it says in the "When I am old" poem, rattling railings. https://www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org.uk/poem/warning/
From a gardening point of view, dibbing holes for planting leeks and onions etc.

EDIT I've just read that poem again and it mentions eating 3 pounds of sausages in one go - sounds like you, Vinny. Big Grin
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, MartinH, Moth, Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(14-10-2023, 09:30 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm sure lots of people who walk with sticks don't really need them to walk with but use them for picking blackberries, tripping up passers by, poking in the spokes of cyclists and, as it says in the "When I am old" poem, rattling railings. https://www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org.uk/poem/warning/
From a gardening point of view, dibbing holes for planting leeks and onions etc.

EDIT I've just read that poem again and it mentions eating 3 pounds of sausages in one go - sounds like you, Vinny. Big Grin
I would eat the sausages but couldn't do without my butter! Tongue They say "Red & green should never be seen" but my rebellious nature means I purposely wear this colour combination just to pee people off! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I went to a friend's funeral and she had asked for this poem to be read at it. Needless to say a lot of the ladies wore purple in her memory. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
How many of those things mentioned in the poem do we already do? Quite a few in my case. I'll add another one. Chasing urban pigeons in the square or streets. It embarrasses the hell out of my DiL (my son just rolls his eyes and expects nothing less).
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny