Isaac Newton's apple tree auction
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
"Get your bids in!
Auction ends at 8pm on September 29th
There is not long left to take part in our once-in-a-lifetime auction to own a piece of living history, in association with the National Trust.
The trees offered in our auction are propagated from the actual tree that inspired Newton's Theory of Gravity, found at Newton's childhood home at Woolsthorpe Manor in Lincolnshire."

There are 10 trees up for auction, all propagated from Isaac Newton's tree. Without looking, how much would you bid for one of these trees and, how much do you think they'll sell for?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
It doesn’t actually say how big your propagated offspring will be. Which makes it tricky to make a bid. I don’t think I’d put in a very high bid. £20 ?
I expect bids are probably in the high hundreds.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm not likely to bid at all, I can't see the point. As there are only 10 I expect the NT hope to rake in some very high bids. Having thought about it, there no guarantee of exclusivity, the NT could have a string of cuttings for sale from the same tree each year. Say bids at £500 mark.

I wonder if they'll do something similar with the Sycamore Gap tree that some moron felled.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Farendwoman, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I really hope they find the **** who did that. It’s just a mindless act!
I’ll say no more, because I will rant.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
They've arrested a 16 year old "boy" according to the news and there are hoped that the tree will act as though its been coppiced. Hardly the same though..
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(29-09-2023, 09:07 AM)Veggie Wrote: They've arrested a 16 year old "boy" according to the news and there are hoped that the tree will act as though its been coppiced. Hardly the same though..
I was discussing that arrest with Bob. It doesn’t add up. That tree was very skilfully felled. Especially considering it was done in the dark on a very windy night. Very doubtful a 16 year old had the skills (yet) to do that.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Farendwoman, Jimny14, JJB, Veggie

Jimny14 Offline
Funnily enough that's exactly what we said. What sort of teenager is that good with a chain saw in the dark to take that size tree down in full leaf in that weather without killing themselves? Whoever felled that tree knew what they were doing in my opinion.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Man in his 60s has been arrested. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66966187
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-09-2023, 02:46 PM)Veggie Wrote: "Get your bids in!
Auction ends at 8pm on September 29th
There is not long left to take part in our once-in-a-lifetime auction to own a piece of living history, in association with the National Trust.
The trees offered in our auction are propagated from the actual tree that inspired Newton's Theory of Gravity, found at Newton's childhood home at Woolsthorpe Manor in Lincolnshire."

There are 10 trees up for auction, all propagated from Isaac Newton's tree. Without looking, how much would you bid for one of these trees and, how much do you think they'll sell for?
I missed the end of the auction but, last time I looked, the going price was over £2000 a tree!! You could buy a lot of ordinary apple trees for that. Rolleyes
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Wow! That’s mind blowing. Some people must really like science & apples  Big Grin . 
How gutted would you be if it died or didn’t produce any apples !

Mind, if they can afford to spend that much, they probably have gardens to do all the worrying & care    Rolleyes Wink .
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie