This should be a conversation starter!
Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
Smile 
Ok so we were given 12 hours notice that the decorator was coming into our temporary accommodation to paint the bathroom, kitchen & utility. This isn’t a problem to use. They’re doing us a massive favour and we know how disorganised they are  Big Grin .
When said decorator walks in with a fag in his mouth!  Angry , do you offer him a coffee? Asking for a friend    Wink .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'd offer him coffee - it would be rude not to. Then I'd get out of the house and leave him to his work.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
(21-09-2023, 09:09 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'd offer him coffee - it would be rude not to. Then I'd get out of the house and leave him to his work.
You’re way too kind     Big Grin
  • Veggie, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
The smell of paint can be overpowering by itself without cigarette smoke on top. I would point out the cold taps in the kitchen and bathroom and say he was welcome to help himself. I would ventilate those rooms as well as the weather would allow. I would also mention it to the owners as they might not be happy with smoking on their property.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
The painter wouldn't get a job in my house. I vote no coffee here. If he wanted hot drinks he could bring his own. It's not your call to object to the smoke as you're only lodgers but I'd keep windows open and mention it's to get rid of smoke smell. (But then again when face to face I'd probably chicken out)
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
He was told in no uncertain terms to put it out. But politely by Bob. I'd left the house before he arrived. As I already disliked him immensely. It may not be our house. But it's still our home, however temporary.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I personally don't think the guy smoking would affect his ability to do a good job? Would you rather have a brilliant painter & decorator who smokes or a crap one who doesn't? Huh (Dunno how good or bad he is at his job?)

If you were worried about passive smoke, you would only need to stay out of the room he was working in until he was finished.

As veggie says, I would offer him a cup of coffee, then skidaddle. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(22-09-2023, 10:35 AM)Small chilli Wrote: He was told in no uncertain terms to put it out. But politely by Bob.  I'd left the house before he arrived.  As I already disliked him immensely. It may not be our house.  But it's still our home,  however temporary.
Are there other reasons for disliking him immensly, apart from his smoking?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
(22-09-2023, 10:53 AM)Vinny Wrote: I personally don't think the guy smoking would affect his ability to do a good job? Would you rather have a brilliant painter & decorator who smokes or a crap one who doesn't? Huh (Dunno how good or bad he is at his job?)

If you were worried about passive smoke, you would only need to stay out of the room he was working in until he was finished.

As veggie says, I would offer him a cup of coffee, then skidaddle. Smile
I could do a better job with my eyes closed! In Bobs words 'he's as rough as a badgers arse ' . I'm not worried about passive smoking . I used to smoke,  we both did.  The lingering smell would still be in the room. The main problem I have,  is the assumption it's ok to walk in with a lit fag in his mouth.
  • Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
(22-09-2023, 10:55 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(22-09-2023, 10:35 AM)Small chilli Wrote: He was told in no uncertain terms to put it out. But politely by Bob.  I'd left the house before he arrived.  As I already disliked him immensely. It may not be our house.  But it's still our home,  however temporary.
Are there other reasons for disliking him immensly, apart from his smoking?
His smoking has nothing to do with my dislike of the man. His personality and giving other trade professionals a bad name with his shoddy work.
  • Veggie, Vinny