Apologies for a rant
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm shaking with rage which is rather unusual for me as im normally the placid one of the family.  We have a semi open plan  front garden with nextdoor, laid to lawn with ornamental spring flowering shrubs down the boundary.  Nothing special in the way of shrubs, lilac, forsythia, weigelia & philodelphus.  The shrubs having been cut back last year, had put on good growth this summer ready for flowering next spring.  The 'gardener' keeping the empty house garden looking tidy has now just shorn off all the new growth on the shrubs like topiary, removing all the likely flowering shoots.  I've had my say and he knows I'm not impressed but the damage is done.  Asking him whether he knew the varieties of the shrubs met with a blank gaze.The shrubs will recover and so will I in time  Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Time to put up some sort of boundary fence, maybe? Even if it just a wire and a couple of posts. There have been problems with land grabbers around here and I've seen how divisive boundary issues can be.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(08-09-2023, 10:15 AM)Veggie Wrote: Time to put up some sort of boundary fence, maybe? Even if it just a wire and a couple of posts. There have been problems with land grabbers around here and I've seen how divisive boundary issues can be.

Not really possible or desirable. The new owners, if the sale goes through, are admitted non gardeners so in  future I think negotiation will work. I've calmed down and am now just feeling sad.

Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Bob has a couple of horror stories about boundary disputes! He used to be a fencer.
He’s also as I type, trying to find out which cowboy did that to your hedge. His comment was that’s rough! You don’t do that. This coming from a man that cuts back hedges with a chainsaw  Big Grin . 

As a side note we might get some newbie from his enquiry as he’s just plastered the g&g forum all over the fb gardening group he’s in.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(08-09-2023, 01:09 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Bob has a couple of horror stories about boundary disputes! He used to be a fencer.
He’s also as I type, trying to find out which cowboy did that to your hedge. His comment was that’s rough! You don’t do that. This coming from a man that cuts back hedges with a chainsaw  Big Grin . 

As a side note we might get some newbie from his enquiry as he’s just plastered the g&g forum all over the fb gardening group he’s in.

Oooh errrr missus. 
I know the bloke who did it,  and he wont forget me in a hurry. He can cut lawns and hedges up to 6ft but won't go up a ladder or steps  and won't do anything that doesn't involve machinery. His excuse was he was told to cut the bushes in their garden.
Luckily there isn't any boundary disputes....yet

What's done is done and I expect the forsythia will flower next year.

PS Paul likes pruning with a chainsaw or hedge trimmer.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
It's amazing how many professional 'gardeners' don't know how to prune shrubs properly. All it takes is a bit of reading and a Google if you're unsure.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Reminds me of a story when I was working as a gardener. We were tidying up a garden and the bosses son, who hadn't a clue said to his dad " Do you want me to prune the roses Dad" while at the same time firing up the brushcutter/strimmer! Cry And he wasn't joking either!!!!! Rolleyes Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm sure I read somewhere that you can prune roses with a hedgecutter thingy.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, MartinH

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(08-09-2023, 01:43 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: It's amazing how many professional 'gardeners' don't know how to prune shrubs properly. All it takes is a bit of reading and a Google if you're unsure.
If in doubt, Do nowt. That's my motto!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, toomanytommytoes, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(08-09-2023, 06:33 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm sure I read somewhere that you can prune roses with a hedgecutter thingy.
I kinda think it may be frowned upon in the gardening fraternity! Rolleyes Pruning to an outward facing bud would be quite hard!
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons