Sweetcorn seedlings dying off
doublyjonah Offline
Hi all,

This year I sowed the rest of my packed of Incredible F1 in the hope of finally growing decent sweetcorn. The seed sprouted well and grew to a few inches high. Then the seedlings started keeling over. They didn't have what I think of as the usual signs of damping off - overly damp soil and withered sections of stem. I planted them out and even the decent looking ones have died (three survivors out of 30 or so!). I've ordered some more seed and I'll try again – my daughter loves it and we were so excited to grow it this year that I will even look at buying plants if the new seed doesn't take off or is looking too slow to develop.

I've never had luck getting my corn to the plate, but I've also not had problems at the seedling stage before. They were going downhill before transplant so I don't think it's to do with transplant shock or root disturbance.

Any ideas other than damping off? Pro tips to avoid problems with my next batch? Should I just chit them and then transfer to the plot instead of growing into little plants first?

Thanks!
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Because I forgot about mine and it's a bit late in the season, I am just going to sow direct with a sheet of glass over for added warmth for germination. Smile

My sweetcorn is never taken home as I eat it raw at the plot for a snack (if I get any, that is!?) Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons

Admin Offline
The Boss
The only advice I can offer is do not over water, the soil should be damp not wet.

As an afterthought, is the compost reliable, I remember lots of problems last year with Homebase compost
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • Vinny

doublyjonah Offline
(19-05-2023, 02:36 PM)Vinny Wrote: Because I forgot about mine and it's a bit late in the season, I am just going to sow direct with a sheet of glass over for added warmth for germination. Smile

My sweetcorn is never taken home as I eat it raw at the plot for a snack (if I get any, that is!?) Rolleyes
Thanks, I'll probably try some straight in the ground and some in pots.
  • Vinny

doublyjonah Offline
(19-05-2023, 03:02 PM)Admin Wrote: The only advice I can offer is do not over water, the soil should be damp not wet.

As an afterthought, is the compost reliable, I remember lots of problems last year with Homebase compost
It could be that they didn't like the peat-free Aldi compost they were in. There's no pesticide contamination, as far as I can tell, since most other things have grown in it. I'll try it in some other stuff that we have at the house this time to see if that'll help. Thanks.
  • Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
Sweetcorn seems quite easy to overwater when its small. That said, the spare tomatoes I've grown to give away are not liking the Wickes peat free at all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Also sweetcorn doesn't care for the cold, could they have got chilled?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Vinny

doublyjonah Offline
They'd been outside during the day and in the porch overnight for a week or so. Shouldn't have gotten too cool but maybe that was enough on top of not liking their compost or moisture levels. My seed has arrived so I shall try again!
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • JJB, Vinny