Ticks
Knotty Offline
Last summer we were plagued by ticks in the garden which was a real worry especially as we have a dog.  Does anyone know of anything you can buy to spray the ground to either deter them or kill them?
Greetings from Dorset
I am always happy in the garden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Knotty's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I had to take the first one off our dog yesterday! The good worming tablets at the vets stop them from attaching. A friend gets her dog injected at the vet that does the same thing - our vet doesn't offer this.

Ive never heard of anything that would kill them in the garden? Just walking in a field you can pick them up so ideally best to get the dog treated.

Do you get deer in?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

Knotty Offline
Hi Scarlet, we usually use Frontline but I understand it doesn't stop the ticks attaching themselves to the dog but kills them after 3 days.  I've never heard of worming tablets stopping them from attaching I will have to look into it.  We used to get deer in the garden but haven't seen any here for many years.
Greetings from Dorset
I am always happy in the garden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Knotty's post:
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
We use front line. There's loads of the things up here. Not had to remove one from myself yet this year. But taken lot off the dogs. It's going to be a bad year for them I think.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I use Nexgard Spectra (for the dogs, not me). Its a chewable tablet. The dogs' fur is too thick to find any skin to apply Frontline!
The Nexgard leaflet says that "Fleas and ticks must attach themselves to the host and commence feeding in order to be exposed to the active substance."
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Knotty, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(04-05-2023, 10:25 AM)Knotty Wrote: Hi Scarlet, we usually use Frontline but I understand it doesn't stop the ticks attaching themselves to the dog but kills them after 3 days.  I've never heard of worming tablets stopping them from attaching I will have to look into it.  We used to get deer in the garden but haven't seen any here for many years.

The injection that my friends dog gets is brilliant... worth asking a vet what options are available.

SC, my one boy always came home with them from school - touch wood Ive not had one! Those legs freak me out!
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(04-05-2023, 07:51 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(04-05-2023, 10:25 AM)Knotty Wrote: Hi Scarlet, we usually use Frontline but I understand it doesn't stop the ticks attaching themselves to the dog but kills them after 3 days.  I've never heard of worming tablets stopping them from attaching I will have to look into it.  We used to get deer in the garden but haven't seen any here for many years.

The injection that my friends dog gets is brilliant... worth asking a vet what options are available.

SC, my one boy always came home with them from school - touch wood Ive not had one! Those legs freak me out!
They don’t always itch so the only way I know I have one is one of my freckles starts waving at me  Big Grin . One of the first things we brought when we moved up here was a set of tick twisters. They used to freak me out, but I’m dealt with so many now, they don’t bother me. Still annoying little critters though. And really don’t fancy getting lymes disease from them. I think you have to be fairly unlucky to catch it.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(04-05-2023, 09:23 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(04-05-2023, 07:51 PM)Scarlet Wrote:

They don’t always itch so the only way I know I have one is one of my freckles starts waving at me  Big Grin . One of the first things we brought when we moved up here was a set of tick twisters. They used to freak me out, but I’m dealt with so many now, they don’t bother me. Still annoying little critters though. And really don’t fancy getting lymes disease from them. I think you have to be fairly unlucky to catch it.
I know two people that have lymes Sad didnt even realise they had a tick.
I have the tools - kids school backed onto woods and they had them often.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I've had Lyme Disease twice now, the first time was quite bad, the second last year I did have a rash so got treated very quickly. Picked off the first seed ticks yesterday  Sad
Never found a product that kills or deters them.
Lyme Disease Action has useful info https://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've never had to remove a tick but I'm thinking that I should have the removal tools just in case.
Which are the easiest to use - the bent forks or the tweezers, please?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man