Green fly in my greenhouse already!
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I bough some mint plants at a plant fair about a month ago.... it had lots if white fly on it, washed them off and split them up to make extra plants. Its the variegated variety which I haven't got.

I've been very vigilant on what plants I've brought in but this morning I've spied a couple of green fly. Sad 
Now what to do - i've squished the half dozen i could see. They are all around the mint. They have gone out....but the greenfly were on some tomato plants that were next to it.

Im tempted to sacrifice these black cherry toms... Sad I really don't want to battle with a ton of greenfly all summer.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Knotty Offline
I haven't got any in the greenhouse yet but have noticed some on the roses.
Greetings from Dorset
I am always happy in the garden
[-] The following 2 users Like Knotty's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I found some on my strawberry plots that I'd brought in to give me some early straws. They soon got put outside. So far I've not found them on anything else. That maybe famous last words.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Round here is forecast frost free for the next few days . If you are the same, you could put them outside and inspect them in a couple of days. I have never had trouble with greenfly on tomatoes but regularly on aubergine and sometimes peppers.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I might do that. I really dont want to be battling greenfly- Ive not had them for years. I scrubbed out the greenhouse in October- maybe time for another go.Theres just so much stuff in there.
  • Can the Man, JJB

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I've had greenfly thick on my climbing roses since the start of April, and I mean so thick that some of the stems looked double their actual thickness. But I gritted my teeth and ignored them - there were too many to deal with anyway except with chemicals, which I won't do. Finally I'm starting to see ladybirds appearing, in fact I saw a pair mating yesterday, so I know help will soon be on hand, and in a couple of weeks the greenfly will be gone.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-04-2023, 07:05 PM)Moth Wrote: I've had greenfly thick on my climbing roses since the start of April, and I mean so thick that some of the stems looked double their actual thickness. But I gritted my teeth and ignored them - there were too many to deal with anyway except with chemicals, which I won't do. Finally I'm starting to see ladybirds appearing, in fact I saw a pair mating yesterday, so I know help will soon be on hand, and in a couple of weeks the greenfly will be gone.
Yes... already spotted some in the GH Smile

[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, Moth, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
Lots of ladybirds here - I must have seen 8 or 9 today.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man

Farendwoman Offline
Yet to see ladybirds anywhere - other than indoors in the spare unseated bedroom/box room.
But I have got ginormous lupin aphids in my cold greenhouse. . Huge great things.
Would it be cruel to move my ladybirds to an unseated greenhouse?
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I would move the ladybirds... they will enjiy the dinner!
  • Can the Man, Veggie