Gardeners Library
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Do you read gardening books or just use the internet! I love a good book.
I don't bother with veg books these days....its pretty much flowers.
I love the David Austin Catalogue Big Grin and Ive really found the Cutflower Sourcebook by rachel siegfried very informative. ...but I think I log onto chilterns seeds website once a week ti check how to sow something.
How about you? Any recommendations....
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Books definitely. The internet is OK in small doses but that's all. I like books about styles of gardening - like Forest gardening, Permaculture, Herbs, Foraging. Writers like Joy Larkcom, Jekka McVicar,
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
This is tricky. I’ve got a very good chilli book and a companion planting book that I’ve read cover to cover and go back to it again and again. I’d like more gardening books. But how do you know which are the good ones? So many to choose from! Obviously everyone is going to have a different perspective and opinions on what’s good. They need to be laid out and written in a particular way for my tiny brain to take it in. I don’t want books just for the pretty pictures. I’ve got lots of those  Blush
I regularly visit chiltern seeds & real seeds for advice. Here obviously  Big Grin . Internet is ok but always check out a few sites to make sure the information is the same.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Knotty Offline
I use both books and the internet but prefer books.  I've bought many over the years from charity shops at really good prices then if I don't like them or read them to death I give them back to charity, a win win situation  Smile.
Greetings from Dorset
I am always happy in the garden
[-] The following 5 users Like Knotty's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Like most of you I use both, probably because I forget and need to refresh my memory on heights, spacing varieties etc. I'm not much of a design bod, I love the pictures but fail to incorporate them into my own garden.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Book titles that put me off - anything with Design or Plan in it Wink
Titles that tempt me " All-in-one", "Integrated" , "Edible landscaping"
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I like books that list plants, where they grow best, height, conditions eequired etc. lately Ive had more books on garden flowers suitable for a vase, plant spacing etc. i do have lots of books on gardens in the UK. I love to visit gardens.
I do have a few that I always use -
The propagation of Hardy Perennials by richard Bird - really old, love it.
I have use Erin B ( forgotten her surname) cut flower book loads even though she is growing in the US. I wont buy seeds/plants from her but Sarah raven books are also very good as she picks for the vase/arrangements.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Knotty Offline
(20-04-2023, 12:28 AM)Veggie Wrote: Books definitely. The internet is OK in small doses but that's all. I like books about styles of gardening - like Forest gardening, Permaculture, Herbs, Foraging. Writers like Joy Larkcom, Jekka McVicar,
Joy Larkcom, I'd forgotten about her completely.  Used to like seeing her on the tele, I wonder if she is still with us.
Greetings from Dorset
I am always happy in the garden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Knotty's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(20-04-2023, 10:29 AM)Knotty Wrote:
(20-04-2023, 12:28 AM)Veggie Wrote: Books definitely. The internet is OK in small doses but that's all. I like books about styles of gardening - like Forest gardening, Permaculture, Herbs, Foraging. Writers like Joy Larkcom, Jekka McVicar,
Joy Larkcom, I'd forgotten about her completely.  Used to like seeing her on the tele, I wonder if she is still with us.
According to Wikipedia she's still with us. Nice article from 2021 https://seniortimes.ie/queen-of-the-veg/