Hedgehogs
Knotty Offline
We are lucky enough to be a release garden for rehousing hedgehogs from a local charity.   I think they live under the shed even though we supply them with a nice home lined with straw!   They have easy access to water from our small wildlife pond and there is a wild area at the bottom of the garden with many trees, bushes etc which is a good foraging area for them.  I really love them but oh the mess they leave is amazing for such little guys.  I'm hoping they will repay  us by keeping the slugs down this summer Tongue.
Greetings from Dorset
I am always happy in the garden
[-] The following 5 users Like Knotty's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Hedgehogs are wonderful to have in the garden. I haven't seen any this year, yet, but the dogs have been snuffling around where the hedgehogs have been in previous years. Spud has a habit of bringing them back to the house, even into the kitchen one night, before we realised what he was doing. Amazingly, he doesn't harm them and, so far, they haven't harmed him.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Bren Offline
We have hedgehogs in our garden but we rarely get to see them, we do spot their poop though.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
We had a hedgehog in the garden last year, so I'm hoping to see that again this year. I think they might live under one of the sheds too Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
We used to see and hear 3 or 4 every night but now the occasional glimpse of one on the trail cam is it Sad
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
We get them. I have kept a few until they reached the correct weight for release. One was just 68g....he was huge in the end 700g + he was released but came back to sleep fir sometime.

Its worth knowing that often vets will give them a worming injection if you find one that's poorly. They usually have some kind of wildlife fund so will do it for free.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I used have them in the garden, I used leave out some of the cat food for them and some water. I have a small woven hedgehog house in the wild part of my garden but no sign of any occupation.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 4 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Bren, Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
A few years ago I saw a hedgehog out in the garden during the day, it wasn't moving. I called the local animal rescue centre and they advised me to take it to a vet. We went to Pets at Home where the hog got treated for free, was covered in ticks apparently. Then we took it to the animal rescue and they treated him for lungworm and looked after him until he was healthy again. One day they rang asking if we could take him back, so we did. Not sure if it's the same hedgehog that still visits but we see one on the wildlife camera most nights now. It seems to do circles around the garden, coming back to the ground feeder over and over, leaving a trail of poo everywhere. Last year we had two feeding at the same time.
[-] The following 8 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Knotty, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Most likely is the same one TMTT
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Farendwoman, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Found hedgehog poo yesterday in the veg end of the garden - really pleased that there's a hedgy keeping an eye on things even though I haven't seen one this year.
All that changed last night when the dogs went out for the last time before bed. All three of them shot off into the bushes and Spud came out with a hedgehog - a big one. Hedgehog and Spud seem unharmed by the encounter. I've no idea why he likes carrying them around - he's the only dog who wants to do it.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli