Over complicating things
Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
Surly lists like this must put people off from ever attempting to grow their own anything! Why make the simplest things so complicated. Maybe it’s just me it would put off if I was just starting out. Do any of you do all the things on this list? I do the watering and the removal of the dead. But all the other faffing about. No not at all.

Just looked at this again and it was written by the Canadian version of our uk company. But our company shared it. With the phrase “wise words”
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I do the last one - sometimes.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

Knotty Offline
Sometimes it makes you wonder how on earth we managed before the internet.  When I first started gardening I think I had 1 or 2 gardening books that I'd bought from a charity shop, one of them was a Percy Thrower book  Cry    Big Grin
Greetings from Dorset
I am always happy in the garden
[-] The following 5 users Like Knotty's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
How on earth do you sterilise tools! Perhaps we ought to install an autoclave Smile along with the oscillating fan. Not such a good idea if you've no leccy Big Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The tools I use for sowing and pricking out seeds/seedlings are my fingers - I'm not sticking them in boiling water for anyone!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Small chilli

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
Since I started using vermiculite several years ago to cover seeds, instead of compost, I've not had any damping off of seedlings. I also mix a handful into the compost. I think it's partly because vermiculite is sterile anyway, but also it absorbs excess moisture around the little stems and prevents the fungus getting a hold. That's my theory anyway Wink
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 8 users Like Moth's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, MartinH, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
(15-04-2023, 10:00 AM)Veggie Wrote: The tools I use for sowing and pricking out seeds/seedlings are my fingers - I'm not sticking them in boiling water for anyone!
I use a very nice stirrer that comes in a Long Island Iced Tea cocktail. somehow it regularly gets lost or breaks - so I have the excuse to go back for another!
[-] The following 4 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Sterile seed mix, containers, tools...nope, nope, nope. I think one of the reasons damping off is so common is because of 'sterile' seed mix, because you need beneficial microbes to outcompete the pathogenic ones. I always use worm castings in my seed mix and very rarely get damping off. 

Air movement is good for plants, yes. I have a small computer fan in my grow tent for my chilli seedlings, it helps prevent botrytis in what can be a very humid environment. Outside of an enclosed space like a grow tent, a fan is likely unnecessary. 

I only bottom water if the compost has gone very dry and needs a good re-soaking. I don't have enough no-hole trays to bottom water everything.
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
When I first sow seeds, I water from the top, to get it soaked through, but from then on, I water the tray. I pick off dead plants if needed, but none of the others.
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Water from the bottom and remove the dead or dying. I clean pots and my little old pricking out paring knife occasionally but that's about it
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie