Earthing up onions?
doublyjonah Offline
Hi all,

Do I need to do any earthing up for yellow onions? They seem to be growing ok, but the contour of the very top of the bulb seems to be showing from some. I've attached a photo, but it doesn't really show the best example!

Thanks for your help!
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man

Stem20 Offline
Don’t usually need earthing up, but as with mine lots of top grows and tending to go to seed probably due to the hot dry weather. If mine don’t start to fatten up soon i will lift them use them as they are and plant some more I’ve grown from seed.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stem20's post:
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah

Admin Offline
The Boss
This time of year the onions are swelling and it is normal for them to migrate to the surface, I have never earthed up onions. they will end up sitting on the surface
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I have never earthed up onions, normally I grow from sets but this year I decided to grow from seed and having great success. The not problem I experience with onions is the thick neck and when drying for use later in the year it never dries tight and often you get mildew under the layers, and loose part of or the whole of the onion.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • doublyjonah

doublyjonah Offline
Thanks, everyone. Good to know. I've never grown onions before. These are from sets. They've been getting a bit of watering in the dry weather to keep them happy.

I am sort of obsessed with growing from seed though, so might try that next year. I'll have to figure out what kind and when to sow. Advice welcome for that as well Smile

Interesting to know that the thick neck isn't good. I thought they were indicative that I was growing amazing, monster onions...not unstoreable mold collectors! Alas. We do use a lot of onions, so hopefully we can keep them in good nick in storage til we get through them all.
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I couldn’t add this photo earlier I had to resize, it was taken a few days ago and it shows onions at different stages of growth but you can clearly see the bulbs developing well.

Click on the attachment and it will open in the correct orientation
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • doublyjonah

Admin Offline
The Boss
Every leaf is a layer of onion, I only lift mine when the foliage has collapsed and then leave them in the sun for as long as its dry. Any that have bolted are useless for saving, these are sliced and frozen.
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah, Small chilli, Vinny