Robin red breast
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I was mowing some grass today (couldn't really call it a lawn any more - 30 years of moles) and I was followed by a robin. As I progressed it would jump down and be finding things to eat. No Idea what it was finding but has anyone else had this happen? Not sure how mowing was uncovering stuff for it. He(?) has followed me lots of times when i dsturb the soil e.g. planting out beans or anything but never when mowing before.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Maybe insects disturbed in the dry grass
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Jay

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Supposedly, I heard somewhere, that it's instinctive behaviour that robins have, they're programmed to follow in the wake of livestock, possibly horses, to gather the grubs/insects disturbed by hooves
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay

Bren Offline
Watching 'our' Robbin yesterday it spent most of its time rooting in the lawn the grounds rock hard so i doubt it would find any worms probably insects.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Have you seen the blackbirds following the moles, Mark. When the mole is active the worms come to the surface (the secret of worm charming) and a few blackbirds have worked this out and walk along the beds following the mole (I assume)!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Jay, Mark_Riga

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(03-06-2020, 09:55 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Have you seen the blackbirds following the moles, Mark. When the mole is active the worms come to the surface (the secret of worm charming) and a few blackbirds have worked this out and walk along the beds following the mole (I assume)!

I've not seen that but in the last week, where I sowed some carrots and been watering them in the dry weather, the damp likely attracted worms which attracted a mole which has dug through the patch where the carrot seedlings were. I've had a mole go all along a row of beans in the past. easier to dig and likely lots of worms.
Years ago I think I had a rat with a sense of humour, cant think what else would do it. A whole row of good looking carrots (from the top) were in fact just carror tops. Something had tunnelled under the row and eaten the lot.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(03-06-2020, 10:20 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 09:55 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Have you seen the blackbirds following the moles, Mark. When the mole is active the worms come to the surface (the secret of worm charming) and a few blackbirds have worked this out and walk along the beds following the mole (I assume)!

I've not seen that but in the last week, where I sowed some carrots and been watering them in the dry weather, the damp likely attracted worms which attracted a mole which has dug through the patch where the carrot seedlings were. I've had a mole go all along a row of beans in the past. easier to dig and likely lots of worms.
Years ago I think I had a rat with a sense of humour, cant think what else would do it. A whole row of good looking carrots (from the top) were in fact just carror tops. Something had tunnelled under the row and eaten the lot.
That sounds like vole damage to me - they're not such good diggers as moles but good enough if they start off in mole runs. I've lost leeks, beans, cucumbers, artichokes, chard & even a plum tree to the little darlings. Often there's nothing left but a neat round hole, more often a collapsing plant above. I watched the cat catch & eat six from one raised bed in the space of an hour in the spring.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
Our neighbourhood robins will fly to a nearby perch (bush, wheelie bin, etc) whenever I go out into the front garden - I'm never quite sure whether they're hoping I'll dig something up (or refill the bird feeder), or if they're just checking out the intruder in their territory. Yesterday evening I had a juvenile land on the ground barely a metre away while I was planting a tray of seeds - they're completely fearless!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga

Bren Offline
Took this photo of  ‘my’ Robin sat on their favourite place.  He can see most of the garden from there. 

[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Jay

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(05-06-2020, 04:17 PM)Bren Wrote: Took this photo of  ‘my’ Robin sat on their favourite place.  He can see most of the garden from there. 
Lovely little fellaSmile
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Bren