Is there a “moans and groans” thread
toomanytommytoes Offline
The carbon footprint of the cut flower industry must be huge. The Netherlands supplies about 80% of cut flowers sold in UK, but out of season they can't produce certain varieties without spending a load of money on heating and lighting. The only other option is importing them from warmer places like Africa, which you have to do by plane because it would take too long by sea.
[-] The following 8 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Proserpina, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(12-02-2023, 02:46 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: The Netherlands supplies about 80% of cut flowers sold in UK
More than huge Sad .....They do supply nearly all of our flowers herr but they arent growing all of them - they are also huge importers/exporters .. flowers travel through the Netherlands. I think people perceive coming from Holland isnt so bad... most UK roses are imported from Kenya ( some via Holland) Holland bring in flowers from South America, Africa, Colombia,Asia - then move them on to us. Heart breaking. 
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
What flowers could be in a UK grown bouquet in January/February? I'm guessing that daffodils from Cornwall/West Wales will be in the shops soon. What else?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Not a lot - which is why there is a little more interest in growing flowers that can be dried.

Why does the UK have Valentines day in Feb when we dont have any flowers available - ir shpuld be moved to August Big Grin during dahlia season.
Snow drops, hellebores.
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Valentine’s Day should be dropped like a red hot brick  Big Grin . Waste of time and money.
When I was a florist the price of flowers always went up in February, especially roses. I never could work out why  Wink .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 6 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
(12-02-2023, 11:14 PM)Veggie Wrote: What flowers could be in a UK grown bouquet in January/February? I'm guessing that daffodils from Cornwall/West Wales will be in the shops soon. What
I’ve been taking small posies of snowdrops and tiny arrangements of catkins and grasses.
Quite pretty, and a little treat for about half the cost of a coffee.
But, yes, it’s hard to find anything to pick at this time of year.
[-] The following 4 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-02-2023, 01:05 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Valentine’s Day should be dropped like a red hot brick  Big Grin . Waste of time and money.
When I was a florist the price of flowers always went up in February, especially roses. I never could work out why  Wink .
I absolutely hate red roses....
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
Quite agree.
Went to Asda today (best place for a HUGE bunch of cut coriander at a very good price) and the entrance was overflowing with ginormous bunches of red roses.
Horrible.
Husband said “they’ll be chucking them out on Wednesday”.
[-] The following 4 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(13-02-2023, 01:05 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Valentine’s Day should be dropped like a red hot brick  Big Grin . Waste of time and money.

Can't stand Valentine's or Halloween both of which are American imports of no use whatsoever except to the shops selling tat.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(13-02-2023, 07:45 PM)JJB Wrote:

Can't stand Valentine's or Halloween both of which are American imports of no use whatsoever except to the shops selling tat.
Slight disagreement JJB on Halloween, it was invented by us the Irish as a Celtic pagan ritual called Samhain (pronounced Sow In), that celebrated the end of the harvest,  that’s sow as in a female pig not sow as in plant a seed. The Americans imported it and tarted it up to the crazy festival they make of it with all their house dressing and trick or treating.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie