Christmas Dinner
Admin Offline
The Boss
Just curious to know who eats what with Christmas Dinner.

Are you a traditional turkey eater?

We all know Veggie will probably treat herself to beans on toast Smile
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Jay, Proserpina, Veggie, Vinny

Bren Offline
Nothing special here Boss, it will probably be lamb with roasted veg.
[-] The following 6 users Like Bren's post:
  • Admin, Broadway, Jay, Proserpina, Veggie, Vinny

Jay Offline
Usually roast beef here but I’ve decided not to do Christmas Dinner for the extended family for various reasons. There will just be 3 of us and I’m doing a gammon joint following a recipe I got in a magazine. Did it for lockdown Christmas and it was delicious.
West of Scotland
[-] The following 4 users Like Jay's post:
  • Admin, Broadway, Proserpina, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Left to my own devices, I wouldn't do Christmas. I haven't missed it the years I've been working or when Covid rules meant I couldn't be included in a family gathering. However, my Mum likes to mark it so I'll spend the day at my parents' house this year. I'm vegetarian so I'll just eat whatever sides she makes, usually Yorkshire puddings, Brussel sprouts, roast potatoes, carrots, parsnips, peas, and some veggie stuffing/gravy. However, she has been saying for years that she wants to do something other than a traditional Christmas dinner, but hasn't felt able to due to hosting elderly relatives. I don't have any grandparents left now though, so maybe she will want to branch out and do something new.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 5 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Admin, Broadway, Jay, Veggie, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Previously I generally cooked a chicken served with roast parsnips/potatoes and whatever other veg available - mashed potatoes with carrots and leek with may be peas and tomatoes, cabbage or sprouts...
This year though, as we just got over covid, I think we will probably go for a family gathering at a pub lunch on the 23rd. We haven't been out for a meal since 2019.
[-] The following 5 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Admin, Broadway, Jay, Proserpina, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
No idea this year! We sometimes get a duck for Christmas from friends. So possibly duck. If not then it’ll be roast beef. What ever veg we have will be disappointing as none will be home grown. First time for over a decade.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Admin, Broadway, Proserpina, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(04-12-2022, 07:50 PM)Admin Wrote: Just curious to know who eats what with Christmas Dinner.

Are you a traditional turkey eater?

We all know Veggie will probably treat herself to beans on toast Smile
I'm going to have a change this year because I don't like to be too predictable.

It'll be whatever I can acquire FREE. I already have some Christmas puds stashed away - probably past their date but I don't worry about such niceties. 
I'm not sending any cards, buying any presents or decorating the house in any way. I'll make a donation to a homeless charity and that's it. 

The only Christmassy thing I may do is sow some Nordmann fir seeds and grow my own Christmas tree. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Admin, Broadway, Mark_Riga, Proserpina, Small chilli

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I used to always cook a turkey crown with all the trimmings when Helen was alive.Last year I had my Christmas dinner at my daughters with her family. It wasn't the same though. This year I am cooking and eating my Christmas dinner alone at home. I have already bought the small  frozen turkey joint wrapped in bacon  from Aldi (in case they run out!)
I hope to be able to use all home grown veg to go with it.
I will still visit my Daughter and her family who lives close by but it will be after I have cooked and eaten (probably sharing with Kato) my Christmas meal. Part of the pleasure in it for me is the preparation and timing of Christmas lunch and itis usually a leisurely stress free morning.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:

SarrissUK Offline
We're going to Jay's mum and her husband on Christmas day this year. It'll be traditional turkey and trimmings there.

On boxing day though, we're having a very good South African friend and her British husband here for an international Christmas mash-up. I'm really looking forward to that Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:

Admin Offline
The Boss
Just for the record, turkey and duck for us
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 5 users Like Admin's post:
  • Broadway, Proserpina, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny