Konsa Cucumber
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Hi all.

I don't usually grow cucumbers but thought I would try some indoors and some outdoors this year. Wink I have five Konsa cucumber plants from seed purchased at Lidl.

I have lost the packet and was wondering do I need to take the male flowers off this variety, or do I just let them get on with it? Huh
Two will be planted in  MFB's in the greenhouse and three planted outdoors.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
All I could find on goggle was that they are F1 seeds. Not much help sorry!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Yasai Offline
(01-06-2020, 02:35 PM)Vinny Wrote: Hi all.

I don't usually grow cucumbers but thought I would try some indoors and some outdoors this year. Wink I have five Konsa cucumber plants from seed purchased at Lidl.

I have lost the packet and was wondering do I need to take the male flowers off this variety, or do I just let them get on with it? Huh
Hi, no it doesn’t say so on the packet. Fyi, it says that ‘cultivation on black, slit mulching film leads to earlier and increased yield’.
[-] The following 3 users Like Yasai's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(01-06-2020, 05:46 PM)Yasai Wrote:
(01-06-2020, 02:35 PM)Vinny Wrote: Hi all.

Hi, no it doesn’t say so on the packet. Fyi, it says that ‘cultivation on black, slit mulching film leads to earlier and increased yield’.
The outdoor ones are being planted in slits in compost covered cardboard. I already have onions growing through this mulch and because of the dampness they are performing much better than the onions planted in soil. If it doesn't mention having to take male flowers off it will probably be ok. I have grown 'ridge' cucumbers before that were just left to their own devices.

Forgot to say thanks Yasai and Veggie. Cool
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Here's a pic of the back of the pkt.  No mention of removing male flowers.

Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(01-06-2020, 06:46 PM)JJB Wrote: Here's a pic of the back of the pkt.  No mention of removing male flowers.
Thanks JJB. Cool I wonder when growing these outdoors whether they need any staking, or will they just ramble like ridge cucumbers? Huh........or like me! Big Grin
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I have grown them outdoors but only in a vertical mode. They've been shoved in any old place outside a fruit cage growing up the net with a bit of help. I've got some konsa going outside shortly, like you. I'm rapidly running out of room so its anyone's guess where they'll be put. We will have to compare notes. I've grown them for several years in the gh they start off fine but later on they get misshapen and grow like a tromba shape, and go bitter, I have a feeling it was a pollination issue but could never figure out which way.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Vinny Offline
I've got loads of old canes lying around so when I plant them out I will stick 3 or 4 around each plant. If they want to climb they can, if not they can ramble. Big Grin
  • Can the Man