Cut Flowers
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(21-01-2021, 05:39 PM)doublyjonah Wrote:
(17-01-2021, 07:11 PM)doublyjonah Wrote:
(17-01-2021, 11:59 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(16-01-2021, 09:04 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I think they are gorgeous! But I've never grown them. I just had a read up and it says they take 4-6 months to flower and May flower lightly in the first year.

I am currently looking at some chrysanthemum - though I'm trying to save my pennies.

Spec - what varieties did you get?
I have just ordered them but I think I will sow them as soon as I get them to give them an early start. Huh
My daughter received some gerbera seeds for Christmas. We just relocated them (oops) and sowed some today. The pack says January (through spring, I think) for sowing, but seems to suggest they should be kept indoors.
Our seeds are sprouting today. The pack said it would take weeks (!) so I don't know if someone at the seed company was pessimistic or we're growing something other than gerbera Smile
Thats' good news, my seed arrived today so I will get them sown tomorrow. I have space in the propagator now as I have taken out the Spider Dahlias which germinated in three days. They are having a day on the kitchen windowsill then they will be moved to the bedroom windowsill which has the same sunny aspect. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • doublyjonah

Vinny Offline
I sowed the Gerbera on 22nd January so it has taken nearly a month for them to show Dodgy . They are still in the propagator and I have five up now. They seem to germinate very slowly and in dribs and drabs. Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • doublyjonah, Scarlet, Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
(18-02-2021, 01:46 PM)Vinny Wrote: I sowed the Gerbera on 22nd January so it has taken nearly a month for them to show Dodgy . They are still in the propagator and I have five up now. They seem to germinate very slowly and in dribs and drabs. Smile
I think 1 of 3 germinated for me. It was quick but has just been sitting there ever since! You'll soon be passing us by Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Just purchased another set of summer flowering bulbs but after reading up Bob Flowerdew my hero reckons they prefer to be grown under glass. Acidanthera appear to have wonderful orchid looking white flowers on long stems and as an added bonus they are scented.
I have been looking for stuff to grow on my greenhouse bench instead of loads of chilli's which never get eaten. 30 bulbs should give a good show and at £1.49 aint too expensive, and I may even get a few cut flowers from them.Cool

I just hope I do better with these than freesia which I never have any luck with. Rolleyes
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I have some Acidanthera in pots somewhere in the garden. They always surprise me when they flower as I can never remember their name. They came in a job lot of bulbs some years ago and have received no TLC whatsoever.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
(24-02-2021, 09:46 PM)Veggie Wrote: I have some Acidanthera in pots somewhere in the garden. They always surprise me when they flower as I can never remember their name. They came in a job lot of bulbs some years ago and have received no TLC whatsoever.
From what I have been reading they need to be split up every couple of years or else they produce leaves and fewer flowers? Its also mentioned that they need a long growing season so I will need to get them in soon, and wor Bob reckons they are best grown in a greenhouse.
Your climate must be a good bit warmer than mine if they are thriving outdoors methinks. What size pot have you got them in veggie?  Huh
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I've no idea which pot they're in, sorry, but it will be a big one with several other plants in it as well. Could be crocus, daffs or tulips, hyacinths and dahlias and geraniums - or any selection thereof. I start off planting the bulbs in layers, then something else will come along and I'm too lazy to fill another pot so I bung it in on top - hence dahlias in with everything.
I don't bring the pots in for winter - they either survive.............or not, their choice.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

mcdood Offline
Cut from the plot this morning, Alstromeria, Dahlias and Chrysanth. I'm new to putting flowers in a vase, won't be so bold as to call it flower arranging. I'm sure it will be rearranged when the good lady returns home Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 5 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
They're lovely, are alstromeria easy to grow?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

mcdood Offline
This one seems to be, I inherited it on the plot. Flowers all summer long. I tried growing some from a seed swap but no joy via that route so I bought 3 new named varieties this year, currently in pots. I thought I had a picture of it but cant find one.
[-] The following 4 users Like mcdood's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie