Cut Flowers
Vinny Online
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I haven't seen a mention of Gerbera here? Huh

Now and again I buy wor lass a bunch of flowers. I always go for Chrysanths as they last longer. Last time I bought a mixed bunch and even though the chrysanths are dying the Gerbera as still as fresh as daisies (if you will excuse the pun). Rolleyes

I have just ordered a packet of 25 seeds of mixed Gerbera to grow firstly at allotment and if they do ok I will put some of the bonnier plants in my flower borders at home! Shy
Another thought I had was that I am still looking for stuff to grow on my greenhouse staging and a few Gerbera grown in large pots may sit well with my chillies and Cape gooseberries?

Anyone grown Gerbera and will they flower for me in the first year as they are classed as perennial.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think they are gorgeous! But I've never grown them. I just had a read up and it says they take 4-6 months to flower and May flower lightly in the first year.

I am currently looking at some chrysanthemum - though I'm trying to save my pennies.

Spec - what varieties did you get?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Spec

Vinny Online
(16-01-2021, 09:04 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I think they are gorgeous! But I've never grown them. I just had a read up and it says they take 4-6 months to flower and May flower lightly in the first year.

I am currently looking at some chrysanthemum - though I'm trying to save my pennies.

I have just ordered them but I think I will sow them as soon as I get them to give them an early start. Huh
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Scarlet, Spec

Spec Offline
(16-01-2021, 09:04 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I am currently looking at some chrysanthemum - though I'm trying to save my pennies.

Scarlet, I have ordered Alex Young, Arthur Ellis, Betty Wiggins, Chessington Lilac, David Shoesmith, Max Riley and Music, as I don't have too much room the might be growing in buckets, but I also need containers for some asters, Balloon and Duchess, I have also ordered dwarf asters, Milady, I should manage them around the garden, but if you say you are going to try any other flowers I will be down to take the computer off youSmile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Scarlet

Vinny Online
(17-01-2021, 04:47 PM)Spec Wrote:
(16-01-2021, 09:04 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I am currently looking at some chrysanthemum - though I'm trying to save my pennies.

Scarlet, I have ordered Alex Young, Arthur Ellis, Betty Wiggins, Chessington Lilac, David Shoesmith, Max Riley and Music, as I don't have too much room the might be growing in buckets, but I also need containers for some asters, Balloon and Duchess, I have also ordered dwarf asters, Milady, I should manage them around the garden, but if you say you are going to try any other flowers I will be down to take the computer off youSmile
Its a good idea growing chrysanths in buckets Spec. Even though you may have bought earlies its handy to be able to take them into the greenhouse later in the year, as they don't always stick to the stated flowering times. Rolleyes
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Scarlet, Spec

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yes, one year I grew loads and they got battered with the weather.
I don't particularly like growing in buckets due to the extra watering but one year I sunk them in the ground a big and that helped.
  • Vinny

doublyjonah Offline
(17-01-2021, 11:59 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(16-01-2021, 09:04 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I think they are gorgeous! But I've never grown them. I just had a read up and it says they take 4-6 months to flower and May flower lightly in the first year.

I have just ordered them but I think I will sow them as soon as I get them to give them an early start. Huh
My daughter received some gerbera seeds for Christmas. We just relocated them (oops) and sowed some today. The pack says January (through spring, I think) for sowing, but seems to suggest they should be kept indoors.
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Scarlet, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
They are a tender perennial. So they would need starting indoors and once they have germinated they should be grown on undercover until the last of the frosts. Take the plants back under cover over the winter...pretty much what you would do with geraniums?

Though growing in a greenhouse all summer I'm sure you would get fabulous blooms.

I can't wait to start my asters - they also need a long growing season.

I would start now - I'm going to start a few perennial myself and I'm giving echinacea another go - I don't think it likes my soil much. But I love them.
  • Vinny

doublyjonah Offline
(17-01-2021, 07:11 PM)doublyjonah Wrote:
(17-01-2021, 11:59 AM)Vinny Wrote:

My daughter received some gerbera seeds for Christmas. We just relocated them (oops) and sowed some today. The pack says January (through spring, I think) for sowing, but seems to suggest they should be kept indoors.
Our seeds are sprouting today. The pack said it would take weeks (!) so I don't know if someone at the seed company was pessimistic or we're growing something other than gerbera Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Was it new compost?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.