Cut Flowers
Farendwoman Offline
Thanks for all the info, Scarlet.
That’s a brilliant Gardener's Illustrated article.
There’s a lot there that I grow or have grown - but also things I’ve never considered for cutting.
I shall settle down to go through it in detail tonight.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thought someone may be interested in this - about Flowers from the Farm. https://www.rhs.org.uk/shows-events/rhs-...m-the-farm#
You can search to see who grows/sells flowers locally to you. There are only 3 near me but I won't be setting up as a 4th.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have considered joining them. .. but decided against it. Though I have gone to visit one an hour away from me - black shed - they farm 2acres. There are a couple of close ones, but some of those buy flowers in and have very small plots and mostly like to arrange rather than grow?

I went to a talk last week by green and gorgeous- she has a new book out - grows on 5 acres, cuts lots of shrubs and perennials. The book is worth a read.

https://www.greenandgorgeousflowers.co.uk/shop/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Did you buy the book? Looks good information.

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(25-03-2023, 11:16 PM)Veggie Wrote: Did you buy the book? Looks good information.
I did buy the book! Its brilliant!

i have loved the flower journey so far but ....
I cant do much more beds than I did last year, I worry that I cant weed it all/keep filling it with annuals.
Ideally i would like to use more perennials, I can use the hedge I planted, last year I looked at plants tgat would return - save me time/also less to dig.
Few uses lots of them already. I would love to stick to just dahlias and ranunculus/anemones. But that didnt work out well with the cold. So more research needed!
I needed more foliage
  • Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
G&G has an NGS open day in July- im hoping to visit. I may find some new shrubs worth planting!
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
In the article in my link it recommended Phlox paniculata. Do you grow this?

"My number one favourite is Phlox paniculata. An established plant will give you several blooms for cutting, you can find it in a variety of colours and the scent is just divine"

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(25-03-2023, 11:34 PM)Veggie Wrote: In the article in my link it recommended Phlox paniculata. Do you grow this?

"My number one favourite is Phlox paniculata. An established plant will give you several blooms for cutting, you can find it in a variety of colours and the scent is just divine"
Yes, I love all th old fashioned cottage plants - but I lost every phlox and every penstemon last year as well! Maybe last years lack of rain:heat and then big freeze wont be repeated? I did take some stem cuttings of the phlox last Spring - so I do have some young plants to start again.
I lost all my physocarpus too Sad
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think I've lost quite a few plants over winter too - all the scented salvias look dead - which is sad as they've survived all previous winters.

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I usually take cuttings of salvia, as tgey dont survive here, but there was very little in the greenhouse that survived. The things I covered over still froze, they looked great until they defrosted and then went to mush. My anemones outside had grown to much in the exceptionally warm October/November. It has been very upsetting.