Roses
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(21-01-2021, 11:46 AM)Small chilli Wrote: They are lovely.
I spotted new growth on my rose cuttings yesterday so that very exciting. Don’t know what it is. Took the cuttings from outside the holiday cottage I clean. So it’s a climbing I think and pink. I’ll have to get some photos of it later in the year, so you can help ID it.
I took cuttings from mine last year and they all look like they have new growth too.
I have a fabulous climber - not sure on what it is - a friend gave me a cutting maybe 5 years ago. It's fabulous. I will take some for you next Autumn.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
They're really lovely, Scarlet. I must look out for some standard roses Smile
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I wonder if anyone knows the name of this climbing rose in the garden of a client? It is very healthy, with no black spot and not too vigorous.

Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli

Spec Offline
(21-01-2021, 10:47 AM)Scarlet Wrote: Most of my roses are David Austin - I've bought the recently bred ones. So latest was bred in 1990.

They have the fragrance and beautiful blooms of the ones dating early 1900 and before.

When I moved here there was one rose - it smelt gorgeous but never performed very well. I added a couple and they did ok.

I've added a few more over the years and the Autumn just gone had my birthday present delivery of Roses. Smile

Now it may be luck? My soil is clay, I try to loosen it, I add lots of homemade composts. I think roses like clay?
I plant with the M Fungus stuff/( sorry can't be bothered to check spelling) I make sure they are pruned and all leaves removed. This is not a major job in Jan when there's nothing else to do. I feed and mulch - which is a sprinkle of rose feed and Chuck on some manure or compost. They honestly have been fabulous. Last year they really came into their own - my garden had never looked or smelt so good
Yes Scarlet, roses do well in clay soil, as in general the pH of clay soil is on the acidic side and roses don't like alcaline soil
As for you saying you wouldn't hesitate to buy more, I will send you my addressSmile Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(21-01-2021, 12:23 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I wonder if anyone knows the name of this climbing rose in the garden of a client? It is very healthy, with no black spot and not too vigorous.
That is gorgeous. Looks so healthy too.
There's a few of those multicoloured be blooms.
look at Rosa Twist
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Spec

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(21-01-2021, 12:12 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(21-01-2021, 11:46 AM)Small chilli Wrote: They are lovely.
I spotted new growth on my rose cuttings yesterday so that very exciting. Don’t know what it is. Took the cuttings from outside the holiday cottage I clean. So it’s a climbing I think and pink. I’ll have to get some photos of it later in the year, so you can help ID it.
I took cuttings from mine last year and they all look like they have new growth too.
I have a fabulous climber - not sure on what it is - a friend gave me a cutting maybe 5 years ago. It's fabulous. I will take some for you next Autumn.
Thank you that would be lovely. That’s a very pretty rose.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Spec

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
After some research this morning I think my rose cuttings come from Rosa new dawn. If it’s not this it’s very similar

https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/products/new-dawn
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Scarlet, Spec

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
A question about rose cuttings. Some roses can be climbing as well as hybrid tea. We have a climbing blue moon but years ago had a hybrid tea with same flowers on.

SO the question is, if you take a cutting off a climber, will it be a climber also? Same with a rambling rose.

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think the climber stays as a climber and the shrub as a shrub. I think they graft into a rootstock that has a more vigorous growth habit? Able to take up more nutrients etc.
But the graft doesn't make it climb, the top growth grows the long stems?. I also have the same rose as a climber and a shrub. They often sell the same varieties as standard, shrub or climbing.
I believe standards have several roses grafted into the rootstock to be able to form the ball.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Small chilli

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I'm hoping to be able to post some photos here this summer. I bought two bare-root roses last year, and planted them when they arrived in autumn. Our clay soil is rather shallow, so I bunged in plenty of mycorrhizal fungi and crossed my fingers!

The two varieties are "Gabriel Oak" (deep pink shrub) from David Austin, and "Alba Maxima" (white semi-climber) from Peter Beale. Both have lots of healthy-looking leaf buds starting to open, so I'm hoping that flowers will follow. The Alba Maxima will be trained against a fence once it gets big enough to prune - I used to help my dad look after his roses when I was young, so I'm sure it'll come back to me once I read up on the topic Smile
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile