Cordon toms
Jimny14 Offline
We have been gifted some Tom plants in 4" pots from some neighbours as they have done too many and didn't want to see them go to waste. 

I have been told they are a cordon variety but I wasnt told a variety name. The main problem is I have never grown toms before so am not sure what I'm doing. I have potted them on in to some deeper pots as they were getting a bit pot bound and they were drying out quickly in this weather. Also we don't have a greenhouse so we will need to grow them outside. 

So my question is what next, how big a pot should I be aiming for in the end and what do I need to do with the plant for best results. Thanks everyone.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Never look a Gift tom in the mouth!

They'll need to be in a bucket sized pot, with a cane to support the plant. Somewhere warm and convenient as they need plenty of water.
You'll need to remove the sideshoots as the plants grow taller to encourage them to grow tall and not bushy (nightmare to support when they do!).
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14

Jimny14 Offline
Thanks VC, I never decline free plants, just a case of learning what to do with em when you get a new freebie
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Once you've grown your own toms, there is no going back. They're a must grow every year from now on.Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14