Dehydrator recipes
Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
This makes sense Proserpina, when you consider freeze dried foods, say the red berries I. Cereals for example, they are frozen first and then dried under vacuum at low heat that removes the water content, I think in a freeze dryer they dry at around 30’C under vacuum to maintain the fruit structure.
Sounds like a good plan for yourself going forward getting your mum to dehydrate your fruit and veg into small quantities that don’t need refrigeration.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.

Mikey Offline
I’ve fancied a dehydrator for a while are there any recommendations for UK suppliers?
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Proserpina, re cooking in 'digs' have you considered a multi-cooker? What we oldies back in the day used to call an electric frying pan. As a young girl in NZ they were all the rage. You could rustle up a one pot dinner in it if you have a plug and table/platform.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
(29-08-2020, 02:35 PM)JJB Wrote: Proserpina, re cooking in 'digs' have you considered a multi-cooker?  What we oldies  back in the day used to call an electric frying pan. As a young girl in NZ they were all the rage. You could rustle up a one pot dinner in it if you have a plug and table/platform.

Alas, the tenancy agreement does say all electronics need to be PAT tested and approved by Estates. While they are willing to turn a blind eye to my travel kettle and hair straighteners, I think anything beyond that would be pushing it. Also, the rooms have very sensitive smoke alarms so, without an extractor fan in my room, I would live in horror of being the cause of the entire building having to traipse outside in the rain until the alarm can be shut off!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(29-08-2020, 03:12 PM)Proserpina Wrote:
(29-08-2020, 02:35 PM)JJB Wrote: Proserpina, re cooking in 'digs' have you considered a multi-cooker?  What we oldies  back in the day used to call an electric frying pan. As a young girl in NZ they were all the rage. You could rustle up a one pot dinner in it if you have a plug and table/platform.

Alas, the tenancy agreement does say all electronics need to be PAT tested and approved by Estates. While they are willing to turn a blind eye to my travel kettle and hair straighteners, I think anything beyond that would be pushing it. Also, the rooms have very sensitive smoke alarms so, without an extractor fan in my room, I would live in horror of being the cause of the entire building having to traipse outside in the rain until the alarm can be shut off!

Such a shame, you're really restricted from every angle.  When you've made friends with the other tenants (perhaps) you might get an idea of what everyone else does.  My sympathies all round.
Greetings from Salisbury

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
 I used to have one in Oz - with that and an electric jug kettle I could cook anything. The electric frying pan was great, you could fry, roast and make a cake in it. Starting to wish i had one now!!

Anyway, that's not why I'm on this thread but because Aldi are selling Dehydrators for £29.99 if anyone fancies dipping their toe in to dry! The ad says free post over £30 so you'd need to buy something for a penny too..............unless its available in store somewhere. https://www.aldi.co.uk/ambiano-food-dehy...3419936500
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(15-10-2020, 10:52 PM)Veggie Wrote:
 I used to have one in Oz - with that and an electric jug kettle I could cook anything. The electric frying pan was great, you could fry, roast and make a cake in it. Starting to wish i had one now!!

Anyway, that's not why I'm on this thread but because Aldi are selling Dehydrators for £29.99 if anyone fancies dipping their toe in to dry! The ad says free post over £30 so you'd need to buy something for a penny too..............unless its available in store somewhere. https://www.aldi.co.uk/ambiano-food-dehy...3419936500

That's very tempting Veggie, I'm in the process of talking myself out of it.  Yet another gadget to take up either counter or cupboard space,  neither of which are available, and I'm honestly asking myself how often I'd use it for just two of us who don't eat dried beans often, let alone dried anything else.  Ooh but what a temptation at that price.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie