Garlic advice
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I have some self seeded/grown garlic which is healthy and green. Because I thought this merely a supermarket cast off that has taken to the garden and decided to stay, and has very small cloves, I decided to buy some Casablanca cloves and try to grow garlic properly.   The Casablanca were started off in pots in early March then transplanted to their growing place in late March.  Now they are going brown and withering.  What do you think I've done wrong.  The onions and shallots in the same area are fine.  If you would like pics, can do.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

SarrissUK Offline
Is it brown spots that get so widespread the spots merge into solid brown?
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Admin Offline
The Boss
It could be rust, if you lift one and the clove is solid and hasnt seperated then save them and replant in the Autumn. I may be wrong but I thought Casablanca was a Autumn planted variety
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
You might be right about autumn planting GL, but the pkg said spring. I will Google. No Sarriss there doesn't seem to be disease just failure to thrive . Watering doesn't seem to help.I might do as GL says and dig the duff ones up and plant later on. Thanks.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Well, I lifted the garlic some time ago. It had seed heads which I had planned to snip off but never go round to it. The garlic has dried off now and the seed heads are full of tiny baby cloves. Are the worth planting out somewhere?
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Since nobody has come up with a sensible, answer, JJB, I'll say try it and see. Hope that helps. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(07-08-2023, 10:07 PM)Veggie Wrote: Since nobody has come up with a sensible, answer, JJB, I'll say try it and see. Hope that helps. Big Grin

I knew, as I wrote the question,  that your answer would be give it a go.  Smile  I've dumped them in the old MT mfb and sprinkled some soil on top. If they sprout I shall have hundreds of baby garlic that need dealing with.  It seemed a shame to waste them.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(07-08-2023, 10:07 PM)Veggie Wrote: Since nobody has come up with a sensible, answer, JJB, I'll say try it and see. Hope that helps. Big Grin
Ditto! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I'm sure I read somewhere that using them was a good way to start again disease free - but I might be wrong. Would take 2 years for useable bulbs.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(08-08-2023, 06:30 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: I'm sure I read somewhere that using them was a good way to start again disease free - but I might be wrong. Would take 2 years for useable bulbs.

I'm not likely to remember where they are for two years so it might be a non-starter.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Veggie