Every day's a school day
JJB Offline
Moonraker
A bit of a long story but in the autumn I emptied the 2 maybe even 3 yr old kitchen waste compost bin and distributed the contents around and about but mostly on the gh borders.

The sun shined (finally) today so I started digging over the gh borders incorporating the kitchen compost.  There were loads of unrotted teabag casings which leads me to think they may be plastic. Thinking to determine whether the teabags I use these days (typhoo decaf for P if I can find it, Aldi summat for me) I was quite surprised to find that my current Aldi decaf claims  to be 100% biodegradable but Typhoo say nothing  either on the pkt or website.  I've asked Typhoo for clarification,  I wonder what the answer will be.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I don't drink tea but my neighbour stopped buying teabags due to the plastic content. So much more of a treat to have tea in the afternoon in a little pot Smile .....serial coffee drinker here! I have tried to cutdown as last year due to lockdown I drunk far by too many cups.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I still do tea in a pot, that way I get a second cup Smile 2 teabags one pot, one cup for him and two for me. Sorted, simples.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(09-01-2022, 06:55 PM)JJB Wrote: I still do tea in a pot, that way I get a second cup Smile 2 teabags one pot, one cup for him and two for me.  Sorted, simples.
Try some loose leaf Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Try a tea infuser thingy for loose leaf?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Loose leaf needs a strainer and can be bitty, an infuser is a faff, but both are reasonable I suppose as I have an infuser somewhere. I might just try to find an alternative to Typhoo for P that is environmentally sound. I'm not that fussy about supplier and was pleasantly surprised to find my Aldi stuff claimed to be 100% biodegradable. He's particularly fond of his Typhoo though, so I might have a fight on my hands Smile
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Doesn't mention Typhoo but...........https://moralfibres.co.uk/the-teabags-without-plastic/
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Bren Offline
We've always used Co-op loose leaf tea, probably because both mine and MrB's parents and grandparents also did. I've not found a nicer drink.
When I was a kid my Gran claimed tea bags were made from the sweeping ups and she wouldn't have them in the house.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I don’t drink tea. It’s the drink of the devil! But I did know a lot had plastic in them.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(10-01-2022, 01:02 AM)Bren Wrote: We've always used Co-op loose leaf  tea, probably because both mine and MrB's  parents and grandparents also did. I've not found a nicer drink.
When I was a kid my Gran claimed tea bags were made from the sweeping ups and she wouldn't have them in the house.

Yup, exactly what my gran and mum said too.  Loose leaf all round there and always had to leave some tea in the bottom of the cup because it had leaves in it. I suppose it gives  fortune tellers something to work with Smile  Although I use teabags I still like a 'pot'.  In the  back of the cupboard I've found a pkt of Whittards loose tea with a 'spoon' infuser. A long ago present. I might just give it a go.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man