Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night!
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(08-05-2021, 09:09 AM)Veggie Wrote:
(08-05-2021, 07:13 AM)Small chilli Wrote: I will probably be MIA for a while. Bobs family have turned up for their annual 2 week holiday. Obviously it didn’t happen last year. Usually they’re in a property the other side of the glen. So I don’t see them every day  Big Grin . This year they are next door  Rolleyes . I’m going to have to play nice.
Oh No!!! 2 weeks of playing nice!! An impossibility?
Are they any help with the construction?
Very close to impossible  Big Grin .
I was hoping they would be feeding use every night . After a long day of being labourers for the foundations builder. As everything is on hold. They won’t be any use  Rolleyes . They should be very helpful as they’ve just built their own house.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Can you "labour" on your "garden" on the plot? Get a few beds set up, some more fencing, rock moving? Anything to keep you busy and out of the way!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(08-05-2021, 11:42 AM)Veggie Wrote: Can you "labour" on your "garden" on the plot? Get a few beds set up, some more fencing, rock moving? Anything to keep you busy and out of the way!!
Unfortunately not really. I only really have a plan for the front garden a present and that needs to stay clear for all the big lorries that need to come in. Rock moving needs a digger. That left site yesterday    Sad  Sad  Sad .
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You need to create a Sanctuary - at the furthest point of your new garden - a Secret Garden that only you can access, enclosed and full of all the calming herbs, with a big rock to sit on and a No Entry - Private sign!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(08-05-2021, 12:32 PM)Veggie Wrote: You need to create a Sanctuary - at the furthest point of your new garden - a Secret Garden that only you can access, enclosed and full of all the calming herbs, with a big rock to sit on and a No Entry - Private sign!!
Love that  Heart . I’m doing that.
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
By coincidence, the RHS magazine has just arrived and the cover says "Escape into a garden".
Its meant to be, SC - do it. Smile
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
...............and a short while later, we had a power cut!! Trees down on power lines locally.
Its funny how when there's no electricity, all you want to do needs power - that's boiling a kettle, not vacuuming or ironing.Wink Found an old camping kettle and boiled it on the gas hob so not a complete disaster!
All back to normal now (the electric, not me). Smile
  • JJB, Small chilli

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
We occasionally have power cuts here. We have 2 good battery operated lights. one of the few items that have a special place so they can be located in the dark and a supply of spare batteries. Also in the shed a whistling kettle, a 2 ring camping gas burner, several gas cartridges and matches in the cupboard.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie

Mikey Offline
Well that was the day that was, thankfully today is going to be better. Smile
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(08-05-2021, 11:10 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: We occasionally have power cuts here. We have 2 good battery operated lights. one of the few items that have a special place so they can be located in the dark and a supply of spare batteries. Also in the shed a whistling kettle, a 2 ring camping gas burner, several gas cartridges and matches in the cupboard.
I have a torch that's on permanent charge in the fusebox cupboard under the stairs. When the power trips off the torch trips on so you can find it in the dark.
Gas hob that has to be lit with a lighter.
A camping gas burner thingy.
Wood stove with flat top for extreme emergency cooking.
Calor gas stove (not used for years - think there's still gas in it!)
A bucket load of candles.
A Tilley lamp - no idea if that works - or how!!
Several rechargeable head torches that fit in hats (keeps your head warm too)
and, if all else fails - a stick kettle (can't remember the proper name).

And an old fashioned telephone on a phone line that doesn't need electricity to operate.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Mikey