Free Plants from Cuttings
JJB Offline
Moonraker
When I dump in water and forget them, I end up with a liquid rotten sludge fit for man nor beast nor plants. That reminds me, there's a bucket of raspberry canes dug out a month ago in the fruit cage, must do something with them.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I only put the "woody" cuttings in the bucket, not soft stemmed ones.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Broadway Offline
Is there a right and wrong time of the season to take cuttings?

I have a few singular perennial veg plants so am interested in trying thisSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
The only way to find out is to try it and see what happens. If they don’t take this time, try again next month or something. There’s no right or wrong way, just your way.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(09-05-2021, 06:59 PM)Broadway Wrote: Is there a right and wrong time of the season to take cuttings?

I have a few singular perennial veg plants so am interested in trying thisSmile
That's too vague!! Its not a good time to take cuttings of asparagus, rhubarb, alliums but it may be for kale if you have fresh green side shoots. If your plants are small, don't risk it because you'll blame us if your plant dies.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Broadway Offline
But it's not vague to say just try it?

I give up, goodnight
Regards..........Danny Smile

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
If you asked "Is this a good time to take kale cuttings?" we could try to answer you - but your question was way too general. Its like saying " Can I sow seeds now?".
Obviously you can sow some seeds (or take cuttings) of some plants now - but not everything.
We can't help you if we don't know what you're talking about!!
I tell you what I do but a lot of it is trial and error. I take cuttings whenever I spot a suitable bit of growth - if it doesn't work, so be it. I'll try again later - just as SC said. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
It's a perfect time to take softwood cuttings, from shrubs and herbaceous perennials.

This time of year I cut my penstemons down to ground and the top growth gets chopped up for cuttings. I take about a 3inch piece, cut just beneath a node, dipped in rooting powder and placed around the edge of the pot. I've always got lots on the go.

I've started dahlia tubers in shallow trays and cutting those the same, cutting encourages more stems. I've found the more you cut the thinner the next stem becomes...these root better.

I think I probably split plants more than take cuttings?? I've seriously run out of room for young plants.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just waking this thread up because its raining outside and I'm fiddling about with indoor stuff.
The sage cuttings in a jar of water have rooted - that's 4 new Sage plants for the garden
Two Christmas cactus leafy bits that fell off the plant have roots and I've already potted up an earlier "accident".
There are 6 rosemary plants ready to plant out and countless pinks and mints - but they're in the GH so I'm looking at them through the window!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've got several types of dwarf pinks rooting (I hope), 2 shasta daisy and 1 penstemon that I nicked and a tray of wallflower growing tip pinching outs. You've reminded me they should perhaps go in the gh for protection. No chance of that as the toms are still in residence.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie