Growing beans and peas together
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
This may be a nutty idea but..................shall we all try it and share our results? Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Mamzie, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’m not growing peas this year or I would definitely join you.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(07-04-2021, 08:37 PM)Moth Wrote: Sounds like a plan. It will look a bit scruffy because the peas will die off long before the beans have finished fruiting

Good point that the differing seasons could be an issue - what if your beans don't grow fast enough? I've sown my peas already and will be putting them in the ground next week, but I won't be sowing my beans until later this month. If you get the timing wrong, the peas might even smother the growing beans.

Since I don't have a lot of space I'd rather keep them separate and be able to plant something new after the peas have finished, but it would certainly be an interesting experiment!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eyren's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
As a random gardener I don't worry about sowing dates or scruffiness and I like a challenge.Smile
Any peas or beans that are missed in picking would be left to use dried or for next year's seed.

Previously I've grown mangetout of all different heights together to see if I could extend the picking season that way - it did, The dwarf peas died off first, then the middle height ones leaving the tallest to grow on. I don't grow many ordinary peas as you get more to eat with MT/sugarsnaps.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli