Seems to be an informed opinion?
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm sure you're right, Proserpina, but I hate ads being forced upon me. I tried Vinny's link again and had an ad for Argos, then Zoom and finally a Funeral Director!
I'd rather live without all that garbage and read a book.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Mikey, Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(05-04-2021, 08:52 PM)Proserpina Wrote: If you have an ad-blocker, you won't see ads on YouTube unless you choose to turn off the ad-blocker for specific channels to support content creators that you like. Most good content creators don't take the mick and you just have to watch a couple of ads at the start to support them (and the ads are usually skippable after 10 - 20 seconds if you get stuck with something really long). Good quality content is expensive to make in terms of equipment and time and it's at least equivalent to a part-time job for many (and a full-time job for some), so it's good to try and support any creators whose content you access regularly. Generally speaking, if I like a channel enough to subscribe, I'll also turn off my ad-blocker for it. Even the most successful gardening channel creators aren't raking in mega-bucks like the big YouTube stars (well, perhaps with the exception of Liziqi who must be doing exceptionally well and whose fabulous videos are well worth watching, but is more of a fantasy rural lifestyle creator than a gardener), so please consider watching their ads.
I have Adblock plus but didn't realise I was blocking ad's on youtube. Just out of interest I may try knocking it off and seeing what I am missing..............for a short time only though! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have Adblock plus too but it doesn't stop those ads for me.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I went to bed last night thinking about advertising and how much I detest it.

If you buy a magazine about a third of it is advertising. If the mag costs £6, those ads have cost me £2 - for nothing. I can buy a used book on a topic I'm interested in for less - so I'm stopping buying magazines. Gardening ones in particular regurgitate the same stuff every year. If you keep a year's issues, you can read them again at the right time (instead of 2 months ahead as they're sold).
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Moth

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I hate ads too, but they're not costing you £2 - they're saving you from paying the full cost for production of the magazine, which is a lot higher than £6! The printing (and shipping) is only a tiny percentage of the cost of magazine production - I know because I've worked on magazines (IT, not gardening).

I'm just grateful that the practice of stuffing magazines with loose flyers is dying out - now that really is annoying!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Mikey, Proserpina

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
What ever you say, Eyren, but who'd pay more than £6 for a monthly magazine that would be even thinner without advert bulk?

SarrissUK Offline
I admire Charlea Dowding and he has inspired me to follow the no dig approach for two years now. It really works, and is a logical, natural way to garden in my view.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • PyreneesPlot

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(06-04-2021, 09:43 AM)Veggie Wrote: I went to bed last night thinking about advertising and how much I detest it.

If you buy a magazine about a third of it is advertising. If the mag costs £6, those ads have cost me £2 - for nothing. I can buy a used book on a topic I'm interested in for less - so I'm stopping buying magazines. Gardening ones in particular regurgitate the same stuff every year. If you keep a year's issues, you can read them again at the right time (instead of 2 months ahead as they're sold).

I haven't bought any magazines for decades for this very reason. I too would much rather spend the money on a used book that is cover to cover good reading.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moth's post:
  • Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
Traditional digging, no dig, lunar planting all have their merits because people have the freedom of choice. I doubt any of us all see gardening the same way. I have tried a few beds using no dig and can find no real benefits as nothing grows bigger or better, I still got weeds and were no easier or harder to remove. Pests are just as hungry, regardless of your method.

I have never understood lunar planting and have no intention of trying but those that do have just exercised a choice. Science refers to it as folklore.

I also hate advertisements in magazines, when I was a mod somewhere else, I got a mag every month as payment but never opened one for 3 years due to the total lack of editorial content.

I am a digger and always will be whilst my health allows it.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Mikey, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(11-04-2021, 11:56 AM)Admin Wrote: Traditional digging, no dig, lunar planting all have their merits because people have the freedom of choice. I doubt any of us all see gardening the same way. I have tried a few beds using no dig and can find no real benefits as nothing grows bigger or better, I still got weeds and were no easier or harder to remove. Pests are just as hungry, regardless of your method.

I have never understood lunar planting and have no intention of trying but those that do have just exercised a choice. Science refers to it as folklore.

I also hate advertisements in magazines, when I was a mod somewhere else, I got a mag every month as payment but never opened one for 3 years due to the total lack of editorial content.

I am a digger and always will be whilst my health allows it.
You forgot lasagne gardening,square foot gardening,Hugelkulture, straw bale, double dig gardening, Pocket planting,Holistic gardening, narrow bed planting and raised bed gardening to name but a few of the many connotations we gardeners use. Rolleyes
I like to try as many things as possible and see what works for me. People must think I have part shares in a cardboard factory as every time I visit the plot I have an arm full of cardboard.

I am a fan of the no-dig cardboard and compost mulch, but not on heavily compacted stone ridden earth, unless its paths of course. I enjoy digging and remove stones and weeds while I am working on some of my compacted areas.
I have compacted paths with a plan of adding cardboard to them then wood chippings when I get sick of hoeing paths 

I like the idea of raised beds without sides and that is what I am working to at the moment as the wooden edged beds I inherited slowly rot away.
I might even have a go at Hugelkulture as I have a pile of rotten wood I need to get rid of. Rolleyes

I personally will carry on mixing it up and experimenting with no-dig, but keep my options open to ALL methods! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Mikey, Veggie